Speaking of Oxymorons - Posting about Drivers in Hardware?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Speaking of Oxymorons - Posting about Drivers in Hardware?

Post by BobH »

I couldn't decide where better to post this; so if it's in the wrong place, I trust it will be better categorized by my betters and moved thence.

I managed to get an ISO of Win 7 HPE installed (Thank you, Jay Freedman!) only to discover the following items marked in Device Manager with the dreaded yellow exclamation point in triangle.
Network Adapter, Ethernet Controller, Wireless Canon Printer, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, USB Congtroller and an unidentified USB device. Now I need to find the drivers that I need to install.

The Network Adapter driver I can get from TP Link and the Canon printer driver from Canon, but I'm at a loss to know where to find the others. The Ethernet ports on my system are on the motherboard. That means, I think, that I should consult my mobo manufacturer for a driver for my board's ports. Similarly, I think the PCI Simple Communications Controller and the SM Bus Controller and the USB controller should be supplied from my mobo maker. Are these assumptions correct? I can find little information about them.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Speaking of Oxymorons - Posting about Drivers in Hardwar

Post by DaveA »

Have you tried finding them at HP support site for that model?

This is normal for the OEM ISO download not to have all of the drivers. The same ISO is used to support several models and then the needed drivers are added. You will even see this at times when one is to do a "Restore to Factory setting"
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the response, Dave.

I managed to get drivers installed for my Network Adapter and my Canon Printer. I have optical disks for them. My quandary lies in not knowing where to look for the other drivers: Ethernet Controller; PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller and the USB controller. I am able to use some external USB hubs; so the others I suspect I'll have to hunt down one by one to find the ones whose drivers did not install.

Should the drivers for the Ethernet, PCI and SM bus be associated with the mobo provider? From what I understand they are all components of the mobo. Am I wrong about this?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

As Dave suggested, a visit to the HP support site should provide the needed drivers.
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

BobArch2 wrote:As Dave suggested, a visit to the HP support site should provide the needed drivers.
I'm confused. There is nothing about this system that has anything to do with Hewlett-Packard. Are you both saying that the drivers I need are generic and can be downloaded with impunity regardless of the hardware?

My system is an Intel Core i5 CPU on an Elite Group Motherboard with an American Megatrends BIOS, DRAM sticks I bought (Crucial, maybe?) and WDC HDDs and a Crucial SDD.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I'd certainly check out the mobo maker. Don't know what HP would be able to supply for something built into the mobo?
I have a Gigabyte mobo and they are my first choice for some of the drivers, since I feel they know more about their own board than some of the individual driver makers.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Sorry BobH, I misinterpreted HPE as being the HP Elite laptop. I suspect your HPE is meant to be Home Premium Edition of Windows 7.

Again, sorry.

The advice should be to visit the hardware manufacturers web site for the drivers.
Regards,
Bob

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I think Dave may have confused your Win 7 HPE with HP.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Doing a Google search for elite group driver download brought up many hits. It shows drivers by model number. Hopefully that model number is handy for you without opening the cover.

Again, sorry for that last misunderstanding...
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

The fault is mine. I should have stated clearly that my Windows 7 is the Home Premium Edition.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

The link for the Elitegroup is ecs.com.tw.

Select "motherboard" and go from there...

(Edited to make reference a hotlink)
Last edited by BobArch2 on 04 Sep 2015, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Bob!

With that link and bit of downloading and installation I have resolved all the driver issues except the PCI Simple Communications Controller. The information in Properties>General is that the manufacturer is Unknown and the Location is PCI bus 0, device 22, function 0. On the Microsoft Community forum I found a reference to this same error and location in conjunction with BlueTooth but it was on a Compaq Presario. I do not know if the bus and function are specific to hardware or are general purpose functions; however, at the moment, BlueTooth is not an issue for me. All else seems to be running well.

Thank you again for the help. Please accept my apologies for not describing my situation accurately.

Now to install all my apps.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

BobH wrote:Now to install all my apps.
Searching for PCI Simple Communications Controller brought up many hits.

This one found on Tom's Hardware seems to have many suggestions Perhaps worth reading through the various threads. Some did find a solution.

Stay strong... I am confident that a solution is just around the corner.
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, BobArch2!

It is my pleasure to report that the problem has been resolved, although I'm not entirely certain what fixed it.

I started running Windows Updates yesterday. Today, when I booted the system it configured and applied the first update. After that step completed, I was asked if I wanted to run an Intel update. Before checking Device Manager, I clicked yes. It ran only very briefly and I checked Device Manager to find that the PCI Simple Communications Controller was not flagged with the yellow triangle. My suspicion - or perhaps better described as a SWAG - is that the Intel update was part of the fixes I applied from the Elite Group site yesterday but was delayed from running until some Windows update had been deployed. Of course this could as far from the facts as I am from the planet Pluto.

At any rate it is resolved. I still have 2 USB devices that are not recognized and have been shut down by Windows due to errors reported; however, I am yet to discover any device not functioning. I am continuing with Windows updates and will then turn to installing the software I had on my Win 7 system before the abortive Win 10 upgrade attempt.

Thank you for your patience, persistence and great advice!!!!!

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Yes, I read the " Win 7 HPE" to be a HP Computer. :blush:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

BobH wrote:I still have 2 USB devices that are not recognized and have been shut down by Windows due to errors reported; however, I am yet to discover any device not functioning.
Glad you appear to be back up and running... with the exception of the 2 USB ports.

Might I suggest you try the following:

Go into the Device Manager, highlight the USB devices shown with the yellow flag and uninstall them. Then restart the PC. Windows 7 HPE :grin: should recognize new hardware and should attempt to find the appropriate drivers. If you have installed all the drivers from the Elite Group web site, and applied all the Windows updates, there is a good chance that the drivers will be found and get associated with those 2 USB ports. Worth a try?
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Bob!

I'm back up without any flagged drivers in Device Manager!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

BobH wrote:I'm back up without any flagged drivers in Device Manager!
Whooopppeeee! Now, time to try another upgrade to Win10??? :flee: :hairout: :flee: :flee: :flee:
It should be easy since now you know how easy it is to swing back to Win7! Just saying...
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, BobArch2, but I think I will not try Win 10 again for about 10 or 11 months. :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)