puzzling backyard cable

garbsmj
4StarLounger

puzzling backyard cable

Post by garbsmj »

I was doing some work in my backyard and happened upon the telephone pool in the back. There is apparently a cable coming off it with a coax cable and then it looks like they buried it. I doubt it belongs to us, but really a coax cable? Not a heavy duty one, just a regular one. Bad me wanted to unscrew it and see which neighbor would come out swinging. I need to dig up some saplings around it so I have to call before I dig. I'm just curious - if this coax cable should get condensation in the connection and then, I dunno, freeze in the winter, wouldn't this cause an issue? I never saw anything like this. I can take a picture and attach it here if you'd like.
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

HansV
Administrator

Re: puzzling backyard cable

Post by HansV »

Cable TV?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hans nailed it!

I've seen lots of regular coax using BNC connectors buried in residential yards (gardens for those of you who prefer) by cable TV providers. I have 2 buried in my back yard. They seem to be remarkably resilient here, but we don't have any really cold weather that would freeze the ground more than an inch or so deep. I don't know if colder climes have different experience.

Telephone lines are better protected. I once dug one up in my yard in North Carolina. It had not been marked by the 'call before you dig' locators. It had some sort of plastic molded around connections. When it came out of the ground, I thought it was debris left from construction and landscaping. Within a couple of hours I had 4 trucks from Southern Bell looking for the problem. I was told that the installation was not up to standard because lines had been run in a daisy chain through the neighborhood when the practice called for running a single cable from a service pop to each residence unless the customer had chosen to purchase multiple service feeds (not something that many would want or need).
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

I figured it was the cable company - it's just that it gets to 20below here. Plus it's the right height for Mr. Squirrel or Mr. Bunny to take a nibble. Sigh, guess I'll have to call before I dig up the stupid saplings. And now I know who to call, but never thought they would resort to digging. Thanks!
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

garbsmj wrote:I figured it was the cable company - it's just that it gets to 20below here. Plus it's the right height for Mr. Squirrel or Mr. Bunny to take a nibble. Sigh, guess I'll have to call before I dig up the stupid saplings. And now I know who to call, but never thought they would resort to digging. Thanks!
I'd agree it was probably Cable company "buried cable." Unfortunately, it seems cable outfits have a rather poor reputation for quality installations. I don't have cable ( use satellite ) because of those tales, even though we have underground utilities in our neighborhood. An example, was about two years ago, my neighbor had his cable wires cut by a contractor digging a hole for a new septic tank. When the cable guy finally came around, he made a "trench" from point A to B with his trusty square bladed spade. I would guess the "trench" was about two inches deep. He laid the new cable in his excavation and buried the cable by stepping on it with his foot. Out of sight, out of mind? Another is many cable terminal covers left off (is this what you mean by the term Pool?) and exposed to all of the elements. I gave up calling the cable company to tell them about their poor maintenance. Sigh!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

viking33 wrote:(is this what you mean by the term Pool?)
I think Peggy meant "telephone pole"...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:
viking33 wrote:(is this what you mean by the term Pool?)
I think Peggy meant "telephone pole"...
Ah, that makes things clearer. I thought they had a local term for them in Peggy's area. :clapping:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.