Network Attached Storage

BobH
UraniumLounger

Network Attached Storage

Post by BobH »

Is anyone here running a NAS device on their personal systems? I just bought a refurbished 3TB Western Digital My Cloud NAS device for ~125USD. The price was so attractive I couldn't help myself. This is a one-time special today (15 Aug 2015) offered at woot.com if anyone else is interested. Woot is a remaindering division of Amazon, I think. I have no ownership or interests other than sharing what I thought to be a good value with friends.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: Network Attached Storage

Post by BobArch2 »

BobH wrote:Is anyone here running a NAS device on their personal systems?...
OK, I better chirp up here, otherwise you are gonna feel lonely! :grin: I have a WD NAS - My Book Live / 3TB acquired as a Christmas present about 2.5 years ago. I use it for storing snapshots and videos that can be viewed on a couple of TVs in the house via a Boxee connection. I currently am using about 1.5TB of space. I could use it for backups of my drives but I have one internal and 2 external drives dedicated to backups. In fact, I backup the NAS contents to one of the external drives. Not paranoid, just extra-cautious! :hairout:
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, BobArch2!

I think I'm going to use mine in a similar manner for photos and music. I'm considering attaching it via USB to my modem/wifi-router. I have other an SSD and 2 SATA drives in my tower case and 4 others in a separate box that is powered independently and yet another external SATA drive. Altogether I have about 7 or 8 TB but it is very poorly organized and contains a lot of dross. I think when I clean up and eliminate unintentional duplicates I will have about 5TB of free space.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

BobH wrote:I think I'm going to use mine in a similar manner for photos and music. I'm considering attaching it via USB to my modem/wifi-router.
I do not believe you can attach the My Cloud via USB. Its USB 3.0 port is for attaching a USB External drive for additional capabilities.

In my environment (different NAS than yours), my modem, Bell Home Hub 1000 provides 1 WAN and 4xLAN connectors. I have wired one of the LAN connectors to a D-Link Gigabit switch box. The D-Link switch box is then linked to 7 other devices, including the NAS. WD recommends the connection be made to a gigabit router/switch box.

The NAS is then available to various wired and wireless devices in the household, including my HP Stream 7 tablet (wireless) running Windows 10 Home.

There was supposed to be an app, WD 2GO that would allow outside access to the My Live (and My Cloud) devices. As the link to the left shows, that app has been withdrawn and will be replaced in the near future.

I just rechecked my NAS and found that I had forgotten that I loaded over 10,000 music recordings to the device way back when. Am now enjoying the music being played back on my HDTV Audio system! :smile:
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

That is the sort of thing I want to do, Bob! I'll have to look into the capabilities and limitations of both the WD NAS and my Arris mode/wifi-router and figure out if I need a switch. I'm afraid it will be a bit of time during my learning curve acquisition. I'm likely to be back picking your brain.

thanks again

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

BobH wrote:That is the sort of thing I want to do, Bob! I'll have to look into the capabilities and limitations of both the WD NAS and my Arris mode/wifi-router and figure out if I need a switch. I'm afraid it will be a bit of time during my learning curve acquisition. I'm likely to be back picking your brain.
Considering your postings re Win10 issues and trying to rebuild with Win7, I am surprised that you appear to be maintaining some form of sanity. :hairout:

Come back anytime to pick the brains. Will be glad to share information and help you get up and running with the NAS.
Regards,
Bob