Fn key on multimedia keyboard

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Fn key on multimedia keyboard

Post by AlanMiller »

I just replaced my mm keyboard and the new one has the Fn key, often seen on laptops. I've read that on 102-type keyboards, it is used to change display settings etc. but I've fiddled with it, and can't seem to get it to do anything. Any info please.

Alan

Leif
Administrator

Re: Fn key on multimedia keyboard

Post by Leif »

A little bit of blurb here: Fn key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I would expect that as the keyboard will send out a different code when the Fn key is used, you would need an appropriate driver to make use of it. Did you get any software with it?

Presumably there are no obvious clues, such as the 'Volume' icons on the F3, F4 and F5 keys?
Leif

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Leif wrote:A little bit of blurb here: Fn key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I would expect that as the keyboard will send out a different code when the Fn key is used, you would need an appropriate driver to make use of it. Did you get any software with it?

Presumably there are no obvious clues, such as the 'Volume' icons on the F3, F4 and F5 keys?
It's the same layout as this... but a different colour :grin: The Fn key is bottom row 2nd from left. I suspect it's a generic rebrand. Nothing unusual with any of the usual keys either.

I did get software & instructions, but no ref to the Fn key. I can program all the top buttons, save for sleep & the big volume control. It's all rather nice, but that function key is really getting to me :hairout: Maybe I'll run a scancode thingy over it and try to figure something from there.

Alan

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Try these two links and see if they shed any Fn-ctional light:
Resolve unexpected Function (F1 - F12) or other special key behavior
How to have keyboard Multimedia and Fn keys enabled at the same time « UberUllu.com

Edited to add:
I didn't actually mean to add that second link above, it should have been this:
Mystery of the Fn key - A guide to remapping the Fn key in Windows

:crazy:
Leif

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

AlanMiller wrote:I did get software & instructions, but no ref to the Fn key.
Way out in left field: Is it possible that the Fn key assigns alternate meanings to the "F" keys? That's what my Logitech does but the button is up in the top row and it's labeled simply "F" and the word "Mode."

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

It looks like it may be a non-functioning function key. It doesn't generate a scan code, nor does the method Leif cited give any info (the keyboard isn't recognized). No problem - so long as I know that it's "inert" then I won't be making (many) mistakes. I also found and tried out AHKHID - An AHK implementation of the HID functions... AHK has come a long way since I last looked at it. Thanks guys.

Alan