Wireless Keyboards Use What Protocol? (Stupid ? of the Day)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Wireless Keyboards Use What Protocol? (Stupid ? of the Day)

Post by BobH »

I have a new 50" Samsung Smart LED TV. Last night, I discovered that it is possible to use a keyboard and mouse with it and connect to the Internet and do other wonderful things (it will tweet and fb but I consider those things nauseous and noxious). I don't yet know how to put all this together, but the situation caused me to question what communications protocol wireless keyboards and mice (or mouses) use to signal. I'm aware that there are Bluetooth keyboards and mice for use with iPads and iPhones ('er indooors has several). Are there also models that use IEEE 802.11.n wifi signaling? I use a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 6000 V3 but cannot discover what signals protocol it follows in searching the net. Are there other signaling protocols than wifi and Bluetooth in common use?

I shall call Samsung later today to work out how to setup keyboard and mouse; however, I thought it best to learn a bit more first.

Anyone?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Wireless Keyboards Use What Protocol? (Stupid ? of the

Post by StuartR »

They generally use proprietary protocols. Many use encrypted communication between the keyboard and the receiver, but some don't. The ones that do use encryption often use weak implementations that aren't too difficult to hack. There are some quite good ones though. Some use Bluetooth, which is encrypted in theory but if they connect using the default 0000 or 1234 code then it's fairly easy to hack the secret key from the data stream.

Edited to add
Wireless keyboard encryption easily broken, say researchers
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Wireless Keyboards Use What Protocol? (Stupid ? of the

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Stuart!

I figured that there must be a proprietary protocol in use because no mention was made of protocols in every article or review I read about wireless keyboard devices.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016