Speakers No Longer Work

BobH
UraniumLounger

Speakers No Longer Work

Post by BobH »

After completing the SSD installation, I finally got around to connecting everything back like it 'normally' is connected. Now my Bose speakers don't work properly. I can get a very faint and scratchy sound-in-a-barrel type output when I plug the cable from the speaker into one of the mobo audio ports.

Here is a screen shot taken from the mobo user guide
ECS Mobo io ports.gif
The audio ports are those numbered 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12. The surrounds on ports 7, 8, and 9 are, respectively, orange, black and white. On ports 10, 11, and 12 they are blue, green and pink. I get sound only if I plug into the green port, #11. I tried 7, 8 , and 9 to no avail.

Here is what the user guide has to say about those port numbers.
ECS Mobo audio ports.gif
I have no clue what the text next to the upward pointing finger means. I checked Device Manager and found a Realtek High Definition Audio under Sound, Video and Game Controllers. I disabled it, rebooted and nothing changed. I then looked at CP Sound and found the same Realtek HD Audio. I went through configuration and clicked the test button. I got sound from left and right speakers in turn; yet when I play a YouTube video or go to a web page with video and audio, I hear nothing.

What else can I check?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Speakers No Longer Work

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,

This is not my area of expertise but I have often managed to get sound issues rectified by right clicking on the sound icon in the system tray and choosing Open Volume Mixer.
Once the dialog is opened, I go to System Sounds, click on the icon at the top of the column and under the Playback tab of the Sound dialog, right click on the Speaker entry (or any specialized speaker entry listed there) and choose Configure Speaker, then "play" around with the settings in there to see if you can get any sound restored. Important also to note that the actual speaker setting is set to default and not the headphones option if listed in the first dialog.

BTW: I wouldn't necessarily disable the Realtek High Definition Audio in the Device Manager. One wouldn't know if this driver is playing a role in providing sound to your PC.
SC270.jpg
Sorry I cannot be of more direct help...but as I say, most times just toggling options and testing in the series of sound dialog's tends to fix the issues I had in the past.
Good luck :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

First thing I'd be checking is that the correct audio driver is installed. Only after I knew that was in place would I start trying to configure speakers etc.

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bob, My mobo rear I/O ports look identical to yours. I have a rather simple sound system, just a stereo plug into jack 11, to a sub-woofer and then split to two L/R speakers.
I DO have two audio drivers installed. a NVIDIA HD audio and a Realtek HD audio. I have never messed around with these drivers or the rear plug set up.
The only problem I remember having was a setting in the Volume Mixer page. I do get sound in You Tube and all else.Don't know that this helps but is just a verification of my own set up that seems to work OK.

( that graphic of the the hand is good but just has the wrong finger extended! :grin: )
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I followed Rudi's instructions. When I got into the Volume Mixer I found the High Definition Audio showing as active with the meter bar just bouncing in green but the Speakers inactive. I selected the speakers and right clicked to get properties. I found that there were sound enhancements turned on that when turned off returned the sound to normal.

I have no idea how these things got changed but I'm glad they are fixed now.

Thank you, Rudi!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Glad you came right... :cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Good old Volume Mixer does it again. Glad you are back working OK.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.