blocked sites list on NETGEAR DG834G router

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

blocked sites list on NETGEAR DG834G router

Post by stuck »

Well, it had to happen, Dinosaur Ken gave up the unequal struggle and had his home internet connection upgraded from dial-up to broadband early last week.

So far so good, the set up passes a Shields-Up test with flying colours. Now I'm looking at the out bound blocking options. The NETGEAR router has an option to explicitly block sits by domain name or keyword but you have to compile such a list manually. Does any one have any hints and tips on building such a list? Does anyone know of a ready made list out there that I could copy & paste?

NB I've not been to Google with this question yet but I will.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Re: blocked sites list on NETGEAR DG834G router

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:...Does any one have any hints and tips on building such a list?...
Not quite an answer to the question you asked, but if you configure your router to use OpenDNS as the DNS server then you can configure OpenDNS to protect you from a selection of fishing and other inappropriate sites.
MalwareBotnet.png
Custom.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I have exactly the same router here and I mainly use it for blocking tracking sites that monitor links in UCE and report back that you have opened the email.
The only problem I found with (manually) adding sites is that there is a limit of around 100 - so to make full use of it, you may need to obtain the 'Top 100 sites to block'....
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Stuart - Thanks, I'll read up about this idea.

Leif - Thanks, you can't beat real experience!