How to Access American Megatrends UEFI Options

BobH
UraniumLounger

How to Access American Megatrends UEFI Options

Post by BobH »

I have been trying to gain access to the UEFI (used to be BIOS) on my system at boot up in order to check and confirm information therein. More specifically, I want to see if I can make by SSD a bootable device using options in the UEFI. I have tried pressing F2, DEL, and F7 - during separate reboots - yet the boot continues to Windows start up and never gives me access to the UEFI pages.

I've been searching everywhere to find out how to overcome this. In one forum, a user reported that he could not gain access until pending Windows updates were installed; so I ran Windows Update to discover that I have an 'important' upgrade pending to Microsoft.NET ... When I tried to proceed with the upgrade, it failed at the download step. I was never able to get passed it. The upgrade distribution date is today, KB2901983. I got an 80070003 error condition but 'Get help with this error' does not reference this number. This might not have anything to do with the inability to get to the UEFI options.

FWIW there are many references to problems gaining access to the American Megatrends UEFI settings, but none that I have read relates to my circumstances. Most seem to have to do with Linux installations, Ubuntu being the most common reference.

The splash screen while the UEFI settings are loading goes by so fast, that I am yet to determine what keys should be pressed to enter the UEFI setup mode. Both F2 and DEL are mentioned but refer to Windows Setup. F7 is also mentioned but I've been unable to see what it refers to. Searches have proved fruitless.

Each restart or cold boot takes up to 6 or 8 minutes to complete.

I'd be much obliged for any suggestions.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: How to Access American Megatrends UEFI Options

Post by jonwallace »

Perhaps this article http://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-yo ... -the-bios/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will give you some pointers Bob.

Edited to say:
This article probably has too much of the wrong info, but it's interesting. http://www.ami.com/products/bios-uefi-t ... utilities/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: How to Access American Megatrends UEFI Options

Post by BobH »

Thank you, John!

The referenced article refers to Windows 8, but I'm running Win 7.

I succeeded in making the SSD bootable without entering the BIOS/UEFI; however, I still cannot get to the AMI settings at start up. The article you pointed to shows that, starting with Win 8, those basic settings will be accessible from within Windows. I think that is a long overdue advance. Tapping function keys during the initial boot period seems antediluvian, somehow.

Thanks again for the reference. It led me to learn other useful things, too.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016