Rudi
gamma jay

Solid-State Drives Losing Data Without Power

Post by Rudi »

This is concerning!!

Solid-State Drives Losing Data Without Power
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Solid-State Drives Losing Data Without Power

Post by HansV »

Better move to a cool climate!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:This is concerning!!
I agree.
Anyone who writes " ... dormant in storage for periods of time ..." needs serious help.

P.S. I'm now wondering whether 80-column punched cards could be classified as solid-state-storage devices?
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I'm now wondering whether 80-column punched cards could be classified as solid-state-storage devices?
They probably could... do you have enough storage area for a terabyte of punch cards? Hmm... I guess Saskatchewan might be large enough.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:...do you have enough storage area for a terabyte of punch cards?
I thought we had already covered that in this post
DO pay attention Jay :grin: :laugh: :rofl:

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Jay Freedman wrote:...do you have enough storage area for a terabyte of punch cards?
I thought we had already covered that in this post
DO pay attention Jay :grin: :laugh: :rofl:
Thanks for the reminder. But that was about the weight (so estimating 125 tons/terabyte?). :heavy: I'd like to know how many cartons of cards you can fit on your desk. :nope:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:... how many cartons of cards you can fit on your desk. :nope:
Not many. My "desk" is an escritoire.
The hinged-down portion is about three feet (max) by 18 inches.
The hinges are silvered steel held by two screws.
3/4-inch screws.
So based on my memories from 48 years ago, I'd think maybe one carton.

But you'd have to put it down very carefully, preferably on the hinge side rather than the outer edge (a.k.a.the "cascade-to-the-floor edge) :innocent:

P.S. If you are going to ask me how many 12-tone trucks I could fit on my desk, the answer is "It depends on whether they'd first fit into the elevator"

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Ahem, back to the original topic (and by that I do not mean the "tons per terabyte" discussion), the Seagate announcement is FUD!

SS data retention for NAND Flash which make up the memory storage components in SSDs is in the decades range, not days. Admittedly if you hold your SSD over your campfire alongside your marshmallows don't expect 25 year retention, but if you're in an environment where you can live comfortably then so can your SSD. Use reasonable cooling strategies for your computer so it doesn't substitute for a hot plate and you're good for years.....
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Peter S
NewLounger

Post by Peter S »

Here in South Africa we experience power outages for a range of reasons I need not go into here. I have had the power go off whilst working on my desktop (OS and software installed on an SSD) and had no problems re-booting. I have also had power cuts whilst my system was "Sleeping" and once again had no problems re-booting. Perhaps the slight "lag"that the AC power supply in the case experiences when power is cut is sufficient to allow the SSD to stabilize? Any comments? (Or have I just been very lucky!!)
(My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core CPU; MSI X570-A PRO Mobo; Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 32GB RAM; 2TB Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. 1TB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; Nvidia GeForce TX 2060 Super Ventus Graphics Card (SLI); Microsoft 365 Home; Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2020 Premium, VMWare Workstation 15 Player. HP 1TB USB SSD External Backup Drive). Dell G-Sync 144Hz Monitor.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think you have to worry. According to this article:
Most consumer solid-state drives, such as those in high-end performance desktops and certain notebooks (including Apple MacBooks), do not suffer as much. They are designed to retain data for about two years in storage under the right temperature.
So a power outage of a few hours, or even several days, should have no impact on your SSD.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

A power outage of a few YEARS will not affect an SSD unless it is in an extremely hot location.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

PJ_in_FL wrote:Ahem, back to the original topic (and by that I do not mean the "tons per terabyte" discussion), the Seagate announcement is FUD!

SS data retention for NAND Flash which make up the memory storage components in SSDs is in the decades range, not days. Admittedly if you hold your SSD over your campfire alongside your marshmallows don't expect 25 year retention, but if you're in an environment where you can live comfortably then so can your SSD. Use reasonable cooling strategies for your computer so it doesn't substitute for a hot plate and you're good for years.....
Your post begs the question of what internal case temperatures are reasonable. I have enough fans in my tower that the disk drive temps run in the range of 85 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit. Is that reasonable?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As long as your SSD is powered, there is no problem at all. The article mentioned at the beginning of this thread is about what happens if you store an SSD without a power connection.
Best wishes,
Hans