My New Nikon Camera

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

My New Nikon Camera

Post by Bigaldoc »

Terribly embarrassing to have to ask this! I just "upgraded" my camera status with a new D3000 from Nikon. This is my first DSLR camera after having two or three of the $100-200 variety digital cameras over the years. The delivery came today and I've spent the afternoon charging the battery and following the setup/startup instructions to the letter.

It's got this nice 3" display but there's NO image shown on it when I get ready to take a picture. It shows the shutter speed and other "info" stuff but NO preview of the picture as I've been used to in my earlier (non-SLR) cameras. I reset the thing and started all over again, but no soap. After taking pix, the 3" monitor screen CAN be used to review, etc. the pix you've taken.

So I called Nikon after searching all kinds of forums and not finding the subject discussed. The nice support guy says that you DO NOT see a preview of the photo you're about to shoot! Is that typical of SLR cameras?

Using the viewfinder, I've taken a BUNCH of test pix, inside and outside the house, with and without flash, and the pictures look great, so the danged camera IS working.

Is this a characteristic of DSLR cameras I ask with a blush?

HansV
Administrator

Re: My New Nikon Camera

Post by HansV »

According to the Wikipedia article Digital single-lens reflex camera:
The reflex design scheme is a major difference between a DSLR and an ordinary digital point-and-shoot camera, which typically exposes the sensor constantly to the light projected by the lens, allowing the camera's screen to be used as an electronic viewfinder.

In contrast, the mirror arrangement in a DSLR usually precludes the ability to view the scene on the liquid crystal display (LCD) before the photograph is taken. However, many newer DSLR models feature live preview, allowing the LCD to be used as a viewfinder in the same way as a normal digicam, although with certain limitations and with the optical viewfinder disabled.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks for the reply, Hans. I did not think to check Wikipedia. I guess I can learn to live with the viewfinder rather than the monitor screen. Funny thing is that in my previous cameras I almost always used the viewfinder anyway rather than the image on the monitor, especially outdoors where sunlight made the LCD almost not usable!

The SLR in my brief tests IS taking nice pix, but I'll have to give it more of a shakedown. One of my big interests is the "anti-shake" feature that my previous camera stunk on. I would hold the darn thing as steady as I could but still got many pix that were blurry.

It may take me a lifetime to learn about this one! There's more "menus" and settings, dials and buttons, than I ever imagined.

Thanks again...

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I have a Nikon - part number forgotten - which allowed you to toggle between the viewfinder and main screen by pressing a single button, and as it is an obviously easy and useful option to incorporate, I'm surprised yours can't.

I can't remember the model as it broke down for the second time a year ago and I don't know if I really want to spend a load more money getting it repaired again. First time the flash failed, now it's a total non-starter. I'm severely disappointed in Nikon's reliability, when it worked, it worked well - except for low light levels when the auto-focus took about 15 seconds to settle and then was more often wrong than right. It is/was a nice camera to use but to be honest, my wife's Canon which cost a fifth of the price, gives equally if not better results 99% of the time. And it's a darn sight simpler to use!
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A quick search reveals that the Nikon D3000, unlike its bigger brother D5000, doesn't have a 'live view' feature. (See for example Nikon D3000 Review)
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

HansV wrote:A quick search reveals that the Nikon D3000, unlike its bigger brother D5000, doesn't have a 'live view' feature. (See for example Nikon D3000 Review)
That's a good review, thanks Hans. The comparison chart shows, in addition to live view, a number of other "nice" features but I don't think I would've been willing to pay the additional $220+ cost.

As coincidental as it happens to be, I'll get used to using the viewfinder since I hardly ever used live view in my less expensive earlier cameras. This one does show the picture you've just taken on the LCD so you can at least see immediately if you've gotten the shot you intended. My two previous cameras also had movie making capability and I think I used that feature about twice over the years.

I just hope I don't have the reliability problems that Leif has experienced. Thanks for the comments fellas!

PS My biggest "complaint" with my Canon Powershot was occasional blurry pictures and I don't know if it's because the auto-focus isn't fast enough or the anti-user-shake feature didn't work well. And I am (still) pretty steady handed.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

By not using the LCD, the batteries last much longer.
Glad you found one that you like.
When will we start seeing those NEW photos with this new camera?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

DaveA wrote:... When will we start seeing those NEW photos with this new camera?
As soon as I learn what SOME of the buttons are for! :innocent:

What really made me yearn for a somewhat better camera was the pictures I occasionally see of closeup shots of flowers and stuff. Well, I'm not into flower growing, so I'm planning to stop at one of the local horse farms to see what I can do to capture a mama and her foal which is one of the most beautiful sights I see along the road in the Springtime in Kentucky.

More later...

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Nikon D3000 is a great DSLR ... had mine since launch 6 months ago. Ok no Liveview or movie mode but I hardly ever use these on my other Nikon digital.
The best 'look at' about the D3000 is http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3000/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why not join a camera club, real or online. I am in the Cambridge and its highly recommended. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy Pics :cheers:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

RonH wrote:Nikon D3000 is a great DSLR ... had mine since launch 6 months ago. Ok no Liveview or movie mode but I hardly ever use these on my other Nikon digital.
The best 'look at' about the D3000 is http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3000/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why not join a camera club, real or online. I am in the Cambridge and its highly recommended. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy Pics :cheers:
Thanks for the encouragement, Ron! Your link is the same one Hans posted and it DOES make good reading.

I don't join a club because I don't really use my camera that much and am not really a "photog" but I just want good, clear pictures when I do use it. I'm taking the Nikon on a "shakedown" trip in the morning to see what I can do. I've only taken a few pix with it so far to make sure I know how.

Edited to add: What the heck, here's a couple of my test shots from yesterday just so I could see how the "auto flash" works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

And just one more from a series taken at the nursing home on Saturday and Sunday. They're posted on my Facebook pages. One of the things I've been envious of is the beautiful pictures (color and clarity) I see people taking of various flowers.

Here's my first test outside the nursing home. Not sure I've "mastered" it yet but these are better than I've been able to do in the past. Lots more to learn, but I think I'll keep it!
2010-05-10_074948.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Colours looking vibrant enough there, and plenty of good reports re the Nikon camera so I reckon you've done OK. One of the problems I have with these sort of pics is getting the highlights and shadows correct (here in the green bushy areas?) . I bet if you go into PSPro X2 and let it auto adjust it'll improve and maybe your new image editing prog will do it even better!
Jeff