Futzing with Wifi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Futzing with Wifi

Post by BobH »

#$%#%*%^^&*()(_)(*&^%$#@ computers! (See Lounge Matters)

I have been having problems with my wifi Internet connection since sometime last week. At first, I was experiencing very slow response times. As the days passed, the symptom degenerated into loss of connectivity even though Win 7 said that I was connected and showed no problems. I tried, diligently, to find and fix the problem, isolating each variable of hardware, software, settings and channels all to no avail. I finally gave up late yesterday evening and ordered one of those Western Digital routers we were discussing here last week.

To get online to post this, I had to take my bride's laptop and connect it with an ethernet cable to the router. I still cannot connect with my desktop nor can I connect wirelessly with this laptop. The strange thing, though, is that my Roku wifi streaming video device works flawlessly as does the iPad connected wirelessly to the same blankety blank blank blank blank . . . . . .. blank blank blank Cisco/Linksys E1000 wireless router.

I probably should not complain because the router has given years of service without problems - up 'til now. And, I'm not even certain that the problem is the router since the Roku and iPads work ok. I toyed with the idea that my wifi network adaptor was failing but that doesn't explain why I had the problem on this laptop which has a built-in wifi adaptor (my desktop uses a dongle type adaptor).

Tomorrow should prove whether the router is the problem because I will replace it with the WD N750.

FWIW: I discovered that the router default settings are 1) no preset user name and 2) 'admin' as the password (just in case anyone else stumbles into this mire with me).

grumble grumble etc. etc. ad infinitum ad nauseum.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Futzing with Wifi

Post by Rudi »

Hey Bob....
It is a bit puzzling that the iPads still work while the laptop and your desktop do not.
Hope you come right with that new router...

BTW: I deciphered your swearing and I learned two new words! .... :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

What I would do is shut down ALL systems and the router and modem. Fire up the router and modem. Then fire up one of the problem machines, check it out. If OK then fire up the next problem machine and so on.

If none of the "Problem" machines work at this time, then it is differently a problem that they have and not the router or modem.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, Dave, I went through that problem solving technique of eliminating all variables then re-introducing them one by one until the problem recurred. The problem recurred with the first iteration.

After reloading the firmware on the router yesterday, all devices are working properly. On a few occasions I've seen this desktop have response snags for several seconds and I've seen the signal strength bars reduced briefly but no consistent failures. I'm thinking now that there might be a problem on this system which diagnostics have not revealed.

If the problem returns, I'll re-isolate this system and debug further. My new router should arrive today. If the intermittent problem continues after it is placed in operation, I'll have conclusive proof that the problem resides here. What continues to puzzle me is why the laptop connectivity was also a problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The game goes on.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I had an issue last night with my sons laptop and our wifi. Last night he comes to me and said that he is disconnected and cannot get a signal and bars on his PC. He said he rebooted and connection still did not happen. So I sat down and also could not get it going -- even after a system restore. Well then my attention turned to the router. I rebooted that and still nothing...even though our PC's my wife and I were fine and connected. Eventually in desperation I switched off the MAC filtering on our wifi router and suddenly his PC connected... After I re-enabled MAC filtering all was fine? It seems like somehow his PC did not send the MAC address or something like that.
Anyways all fine after switching off and then on again the MAC filtering ... weird :shrug:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

BobH wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. The game goes on.
More food for thought?
Regards,
Bob

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

BobArch2 wrote:
BobH wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. The game goes on.
More food for thought?
Well, if BobH's new router arrives on schedule, there probably won't be any need for a hotspot like that. Good luck, Bob!

It was interesting to read that article, though. I've been aware of ICS for years, but never had a need for it. Now I might. I'll be traveling in November, and for the first time I have a smartphone (I'm a bit of a miser, so I wouldn't spend for a monthly data plan, but TracFone finally put a decent smartphone on their prepaid roster). In hotels with wired Internet access, my laptop can use ICS to provide WiFi for the phone.