USB 3.0 Hub

BobH
UraniumLounger

USB 3.0 Hub

Post by BobH »

Although I've resisted the urge until now, I'm finally going to jump into the waters of USB 3.0. Those 2 ports on my mobo have only served USB 2.0 devices.

Because all the USB ports on my system come off the mobo at the back of the system tower, I cannot easily use them for ad hoc connections. Likewise my external HDDs are connected at 2.0 speed but could be using 3.0.

Now is the time.

I would like to buy a high capacity USB 3.0 hub that has its own power source. I've found several that offer 10 ports plus a charger for smart phones and iPads. The Sabrent is my current favorite. Before I buy it, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a good one of higher port capacity. I have an 8 port USB 2.0 hub that I filled up long ago; so I know that the more capacity I get the less buyer's remorse I'll suffer.

What say you?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: USB 3.0 Hub

Post by Rudi »

I haven't found any hubs that offers more than 10 USB 3.0 ports?
A very plain uninteresting one from Orico...
I found a 28 port hub but it offers 24 USB 2.0 ports and only 4 USB 3.0 ports. :nope:

Do you have links with images to that Sabrent hub. I'd like to see what it looks like.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Here you go, Rudi!

Sabrent 10 Port USB 3.0 Hub

. . . and here

Sorry, Rudi. I sent you to the Sabrent web page listing for USB 2.0 ports by mistake. I changed it so that it links to the USB 3.0 hub now.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Dumb question, I know, but in order for it to transfer data to your tower at USB3.0 speed, you need to have a USB3.0 port on the PC tower too...right?!
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Bob....

Here is my best find so far... 13 USB 3.0 ports + smartphone charging port :grin:

Anker USB 3.0 13-Port Hub + 5V 2.1A Smart Charging Port

See this Youtube video of an unboxing of the product...
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Rudi wrote:Dumb question, I know, but in order for it to transfer data to your tower at USB3.0 speed, you need to have a USB3.0 port on the PC tower too...right?!
Yep!

The Anker unit is spiffy but I can buy 2 10-port Sabrent's for that price and have 20 ports.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:
Rudi wrote:Dumb question, I know, but in order for it to transfer data to your tower at USB3.0 speed, you need to have a USB3.0 port on the PC tower too...right?!
Yep!

The Anker unit is spiffy but I can buy 2 10-port Sabrent's for that price and have 20 ports.
Sorry... I got so excited over the find that I din't even look at the price ... :crazy:
Well...I think you found your buy as it seems if you go beyond 10 ports, the price becomes too much of a factor.
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, I ordered the Sabrent 10-port model from Amazon. It appears that it is a bit different from the one shown on the Sabrent web site.

I'll put it in use this week and try to remember to make a product report after I've used it for awhile.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

While on the subject of USB 3.0, new cables are required to experience the speed improvement.

Information about USB 3.0 including details about the new cable and how to tell the difference between 2.0 and 3.0 cables can be found here.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:While on the subject of USB 3.0, new cables are required to experience the speed improvement.
In addition...the hardware must also be able to cope with the available speeds...
Quoted from Bobs link:
...transferring a 27GB HD movie to your future media player will only take 70 seconds with USB 3.0, while it would take 15 minutes or more with 2.0. Keep in mind that you’re only going to be able to take advantage of this speed if your portable storage device can write data that quickly. Solid state devices will benefit most from the speed boost, while magnetic hard disks will be limited by their RPM and corresponding read/write speeds.
Regards,
Rudi

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
Rudi wrote:...you need to have a USB3.0 port on the PC tower too...right?!
Yep!
So you realise that you need USB 3 on the main PC tower but even though you said in your original post that your main PC only has USB 2:
BobH wrote:...Those 2 ports on my mobo have only served USB 2.0 devices...
you've still gone a head and bought a USB 3 hub. How is that going to give you USB 3 speeds?

:scratch:

I must be missing something?

Ken

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I think Bob is saying he has 2 USB 3 ports on the tower into which he has plugged USB 2 devices.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, Ken!

I have a mobo with multiple USB ports but only 2 of them are USB 3.0. Heretofore, those 2 USB 3.0 ports have only been used with USB 2.0 devices and cables. When I install and use the USB 3.0 hub, it will be connected to one of the USB 3.0 ports via a USB 3.0 cable. I plan to use the new hub for both USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices as the equipment is all backward compatible.

Sorry if I was unclear in my original post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Heretofore :drop:
Regards,
Rudi