How does the iPhone hold up against a serious camera?

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Article and quote from The Verge
It’s true that the iPhone 5S does take better pictures than just about any other smartphone. (Authors opinion) But how close am I to throwing away my dedicated photography setup? I decided to put the iPhone 5S against a “real” camera — taking near-identical snapshots across a day and night in Harajuku, Tokyo — to see how things shake out in practice.
This article is an interesting read, esp. for the photographers in the lounge...
I like the interactive image comparisons...just slide your mouse across each image to get the comparison

IMHO: It is a bit unfair to compare the tiny lens of a smartphone to the monster eye of a professional camera, but the author is quite unbiased and supports the phone for what it is... A nice article...

Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: How does the iPhone hold up against a serious camera?

Post by stuck »

Photography should be fun. If a snap taken with the tiny camera in your phone pleases you, then has it not done it's job? Too many photographers forget that.

Personally, I'd rather lug my DSLR around but even a camera with an expensive lens on it doesn't guarantee a good picture - I've got hundreds of shots that illustrate that point :laugh:

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I have an iPhone 5S currently and it does take some great images. I actually use it more for the video capability as the Sony Finepix camera that I have does not have a memory card as large as the iPhones memory. Besides, the iPhone records in near HD quality while the Sony does not. HOWEVER, if I know I am going out where I will be snapping still images (scenery, wedding, etc), I will take the Sony with me as it does supersede the iPhone in quality. But on outings where I need an image the phone does a super job. Bottom line...nowadays I (we) are always armed with a device to snap up an image, and usually the quality will suffice.

TX for your opinions Ken :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

IMHO

i STARTED WITH A Hand me downBrowning Box Hawkeye Camera. Remembering my "NEW AND FANTASTIC" pocket Instamatic 110 Camera, I was over the moon. My CoolPix s4000 (12 Mega Pixels) takes better pictures than I could have imagined a couple of decades ago.

I prefer to use a camera for pictures - it helps compensate for my shaky hands and tends to take a better picture than my (now defunct) .1 Meg camera.

My new smartphone is much better, but my new Cannon is now a 10 Meg resolution. I do not have an eye for composition or talent for photo hopping (er enhancing). I do enjoy the pictures.

Having said that, Technology has advanced so far that a camera phone is light years ahead of what I started out with. The are compact, more convenientand generally always with you. They take decent to good pictures and movies.

These all in one devices have definitely been an explosive boom to social media. This could be a never endig discussion.

As to the original point ?

I think it boils down to the individual user. The iPhone (or any recent smart phone) takes great pictures for most people most of the time. But for a truly great picture - you can not beat a camera designed for that purpose.

The compactness, availability and capability of the smart phone will always make designs enhance the capability of the smart phone's camera to the point where even I will look like a decent photographer !

:whisper: Well maybe not in this life time.
Scott

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

IMNetUser wrote:...my new Cannon...
:laugh: Nice typo, I bet those pictures really 'pop'.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It gives extra meaning to the expression "to shoot a picture"...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

IMNetUser wrote:...This could be a never endig discussion...
Yes, it is. Just scan read any photography forum.
IMNetUser wrote:...But for a truly great picture - you can not beat a camera designed for that purpose...
Good job you didn't say that on a photography forum, you'd be laughed at and bombarded with numerous comments about how "It's not the camera that takes a great picture, it's the person who presses the shutter." Which is true but decent kit and appropriate editing doesn't half help.

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:It gives extra meaning to the expression "to shoot a picture"...
Each shot is lit up with a dedicated flash.
Regards,
Rudi

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

Spelling, grammar and structure - seems I need more English classes :rofl:

Ken: Since I Bomb at picture taking - I need the camera to do the work.

I guess what I was trying to say was that technology is allowing amateurs like me to take fairly decent pictures.

You are correct - for a truly great picture - you need the total equipment package which includes the person taking the picture.

I noticed the typo "ENDIG" - seems I flashed on digging my own hole.
:whisper: Sorry Rudi - No flash so no picture :evilgrin:

Hans - I wondered what the circles on the back of my shirt were for.
Scott

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

IMNetUser wrote:I guess what I was trying to say was that technology is allowing amateurs like me to take fairly decent pictures.
Quite!! but IMHO the average 'photographer' that inhabits photography forums tend to overlook the fact that "amateurs like me" are almost invariably very pleased with their "fairly decent pictures" and thus look down their noses at someone who is satisfied by such photographs.

My wife and both my sons laugh at me all the time, "Just point and shoot!", they cry. Only the other day, while we were visiting a water garden they snapped pictures of some swans and smiled again while I declined, because I had the wrong lens on the camera. It got even funnier when then then overheard a passer by (complete with an even more serious bit of kit than the DSLR I've got) comment to the person he was with that he, "had the wrong lens". :rofl: Who were the winners there? Those that got a picture to remind them of the day or those who looked and walked away? As they say in Yorkshire, "There's nowt as queer as folk." :rofl:

Ken

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

Point taken Ken.

As far as I am concerned - everyone was a winner.

Those who took the picture, those who were satisfied with the memory of the scene and did not take a picture.

After all, if you really wanted to take a picture you would carry a bigger bag to include all the lens you would and/or might need - right ?!?! :evilgrin:

Having said that - I have great admiration for photographers (Armature or Professional) with eye for detail and care enough of their craft to have the time, energy and patients. I do not. Nor do I have the capability to compose and/or take great shots.

A very good friend of mine classifies photography as a craft to be respected, studied, honed and honored. The rest of us are just picture takers. Sometimes lucky with shots (CanNons excluded Rudi) but still picture takers. My friend has refused to take a picture NOT ONLY when he had the wrong lens, but wrong lighting situation or setting. I have to admit - his photo's are always better than mine. He always prefers quality over quantity.

I guess I am just a picture taker. Only you can decide whether you are picture taker or photographer :bow:
Scott

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

IMNetUser wrote:...Nor do I have the capability to compose and/or take great shots...
I'd dare to suggest that you could learn to compose better pictures but I'd never suggest you ought to learn, especially if the effort of learning removed the fun from taking pictures.
IMNetUser wrote:Only you can decide whether you are picture taker or photographer
I'd put myself somewhere in between. Yes, I had the wrong lens on the camera the other day but I did have the right one in my bag. Why didn't I change them over? Well, I have taken similar pictures of swans in the past so to me no picture was no great loss. On the other hand I've taken many, many pictures in poor light / with the wrong lens / etc. because I've wanted something rather than nothing. So what if the end result is not ideal, it means something to me.

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Wow...I'd know that photography could be quite so philosophical :grin:
I'm a black and white typa guy...either I have the picture or I don't; doesn't matter what it looks like.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Rudi wrote:I'm a black and white typa guy...
I could have sworn that I've seen colour pictures from you... :laugh:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:
Rudi wrote:I'm a black and white typa guy...
I could have sworn that I've seen colour pictures from you... :laugh:
J. This is my view of the lounge...
J. Gray (in any tone or mood) is a rare pleasure.
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't see 50 shades of gray in your picture. It's really black and white!
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:...It's really black and white!
Yep...that it is.
Gray complicates matters and claudes my judgement, and that greaves me.
So, as Bob is my uncle, it's better to leif things in B/W.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Rudi wrote:Bob is my uncle
BobH, or BobL, or BobArch2, or BobSullivan, or viking33?
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

:laugh: JustBob
(Not a member yet. Before signing up, he wants to read the T&C's in black and white).
Regards,
Rudi

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I just point my phone and snap pictures. They mostly come out terrible, but every once in a while I get a nice surprise.
StuartR