Disk Drive Housing

BobH
UraniumLounger

Disk Drive Housing

Post by BobH »

Over the past couple of years I have accumulated 8 hard drives. Only 2 of them are mounted in my tower case and I'm thinking of pulling one of those out and replacing it with an SSD. This will give me more external drives than I have space for; so I was considering investigating an external disk cabinet.

Has anyone here done this for a home system? Are there any cautions about data transfer speeds, power, cooling, et al, that I should know about? Any recommendations?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Disk Drive Housing

Post by Rudi »

Have you found out anything more about this Bob?
Not that I have need of this or researched this, but out of interest, are there purchasable options for this or would this be a home-made custom built project.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Here is one option I found. They get more expensive as you go for greater capacity.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

First time ever seeing this. Then again....I don't think I'd ever have so many hard drives lying around.
TX for the share...even if it was just for interest sake.
Regards,
Rudi

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Back in the DOS days we used "Jukeboxes" The cam is many sizes based on the number of drives one wanted add.

I did a Google and that term (Jukebox) is still be used.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Most of what I found under "Jukebox" for HDDs was for single drive enclosures or, strangely, Karaoke devices.

I have several 1TB drives that are in individual Sabrent USB 3.0 external enclosures connected to USB 2.0 ports. I recently bought a 10-port USB 3.0 hub so I gained 1 USB 3.0 port back. At some point in the future, I'm going to want all those devices connected to a single port which is why I was looking into multi-drive external HDD enclosures. Up to 4 HDDs is fairly reasonably priced, but going up from there gets very expensive very quickly. (or is that cwicly?)
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Test
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Test what?
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Perfectly spelt Bob... :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Sorry about that, folks.

I was having Internet connection problems and typed that to prove to myself that the connection was down. Apparently, the post was cached and sent as soon as the connection was re-established.

I clicked on the X to delete it and got a confirmation response, but apparently it's still there. Today I am the bug and not the windscreen.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

If you had Jay's internet speed, the words would be uploaded before you even typed it :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Rudi wrote:If you had Jay's internet speed, the words would be uploaded before you even typed it :laugh:
Yes, I run into that all the time. I have a heck of a job typing fast enough to keep up with what's appearing on the screen! :grin: