How are Monitor Screen Sizes Measured These Days?

BobH
UraniumLounger

How are Monitor Screen Sizes Measured These Days?

Post by BobH »

Back when screens first entered everyone's home - remember the stunning 21" TV? - sizes were measured diagonally from an upper corner to a lower corner (or vice versa). The measurement gave a relative size but did not describe the horizontal or vertical measure of a screen.

Is the same practice followed with today's flat panel LED screens? Is a 24" monitor measured on the diagonal?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: How are Monitor Screen Sizes Measured These Days?

Post by BobArch2 »

BobH wrote:Back when screens first entered everyone's home - remember the stunning 21" TV? - sizes were measured diagonally from an upper corner to a lower corner (or vice versa). The measurement gave a relative size but did not describe the horizontal or vertical measure of a screen.

Is the same practice followed with today's flat panel LED screens? Is a 24" monitor measured on the diagonal?
YUP.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Bob is correct.

In the good old days, computer monitors almost always had a 4:3 aspect ratio. Pythagoras' law tells us that the sides and diagonal formed a 3-4-5 triangle, so it was easy to compute the width and height of the screen. For example, the screen of a 15" monitor was 12" wide and 9" high.
S0014.png
Nowadays, most monitors are wide-screen, with aspect ratios such as 16:9 or 16:10. It's a bit more work to compute width and height, but it's still possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Two answers on Yahoo Answers:

ANSWER 1:
All the angles are fixed and you know the ratio of the 2 sides.
That means the ratio of the hypotenuse to the sides is also fixed.
All that remains is to figure out the hypotenuse ratios.

Calculate the hypotenuse for the given ratio:
sqrt(16^2 + 9^2) = H

Then:
height = 9 / H * D
width = 16 / H * D

Note that for TV's, the measurements can be off since they often round the diagonal size.

ANSWER 2:
You use Pythagoras' Theorem for right triangles: c^2 = a^2 + b^2

c is the hypotenuse (the diagonal),
a is the height,
b is the width.

First you need to define the width b, in terms of the height a, which you can since you know their proportion is 16:9.

b = 16a / 9

Plug that into the c^2 = a^2 + b^2 Pythagoras theorem, you get:

c^2 = a^2 + (16a / 9)^2.

Plug in the diagonal c, and you can solve for height a.

Once you get the number for height a, plug it into the b = 16a / 9 equation to solve for width b.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

BobH wrote: Is the same practice followed with today's flat panel LED screens? Is a 24" monitor measured on the diagonal?
Hey BobH,
Hans and Rudi are really complicating a simple answer. Tsk, Tsk. Just grab one of these when you go to the TechShop... :hairout: :flee:
TM.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

That would deserve a measured :rofl:
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I have a much smaller pocket sized tape measure that only measures up to 96." I think it will be a little easier to use than that 100-footer. :rofl:

My question was generated by looking at online adverts and not knowing how to relate the sizes of modern wide screen monitors to the size of my desk.

Thanks for all the help!

I am a bit too obtuse and cannot figure out Rudi's HY-potheses. :scratch:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

BobH wrote: My question was generated by looking at online adverts and not knowing how to relate the sizes of modern wide screen monitors to the size of my desk.
I am a bit too obtuse and cannot figure out Rudi's HY-potheses. :scratch:
I'm with you on Rudi's Hy-potheses! :hairout:
Here's a snap of my work station with a pair of Samsung 24" monitors. The height from the top of the desk to the top of the monitors is about 18.5" which includes the stands. The overall width being 44".
Combo3.gif
Regards,
Bob

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Just 2 B clear, it's SUM-1-Other's-Potheses!
My solution would be to borrow BobH's small pocket sized tape measure.
Regards,
Rudi

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Bob, you stated in another thread, "It would appear that our environments are alike."

You have no idea!
Spoiler
IMG_4504.jpg
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

If, like BobH, you're looking at adverts and you don't have the monitor in front of you, the tape measure won't do a lot of good (hey, stop trying to measure my waistline!). Instead, here are a few numbers from trigonometry (remember that?)...

If the monitor's resolution is 4:3, the width of the screen is the diagonal size multiplied by 0.8.
If it's a widescreen 16:10, the multiplier is 0.85.
If it's a widescreen 16:9, the multiplier is 0.87.

None of these numbers include the width of the bezel, which can vary considerably.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

LOL... I love this game: Spot the difference.
Let's play....
Regards,
Rudi

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Funny, I recently had a discussion with a friend, who wanted to know if all desktop computer systems were required to have that awful jungle of wires and cables behind the monitor and tower, etc?
I said that while not required, the amount of cabling and twisted wires were an indication of the relative changes made over time. More cables, more speed and up to date hardware. ( besides, the spiders loved to make their homes in there )
She said, thanks, I always wondered about that! :laugh:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:ooking at online adverts and not knowing how to relate the sizes of modern wide screen monitors to the size of my desk
Ah! If that's the real problem you've got then you don't need maths of a tape measure because if the ad. you are looking at doesn't give anything more than the diagonal then simply Google the model number and find the full specs from somewhere else, e.g the manufacturer's site or somewhere like Amazon. The full specs will give the actual width and height, plus a load more stuff you probably don't need to know.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Good suggestion.

Thanks, Ken.

And further congratulations to you and s2.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

viking33 wrote:Funny, I recently had a discussion with a friend, who wanted to know if all desktop computer systems were required to have that awful jungle of wires and cables behind the monitor and tower, etc?
I said that while not required, the amount of cabling and twisted wires were an indication of the relative changes made over time. More cables, more speed and up to date hardware. ( besides, the spiders loved to make their homes in there )
She said, thanks, I always wondered about that! :laugh:
You're not wrong Bob. When I got a new desk recently, I discovered that I've been too lazy to untangle the wires of defunct equipment, I just unplugged the power brick and dropped it down the back (sometimes I had forgotten to unplug the brick as well...) My junk cable box now has two "spare" power bricks and a network cable... :groan:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube