Drive coming and going

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Drive coming and going

Post by Dave Davison »

Really Bizzar is this...before I laid XP to rest my computer had the main drive partitioned into " C " & "D" Then there were two CD / DVD drives which appeared as "E" & "F" and another drive which was salvaged from a previous tower fitted which appeard as "G". After running W7 for about a week, all of a sudden drive "G" failed to appear in W/Explorer and when I clicked the desktop shortcut to the said drive a message said drive can't be found or has been moved. A catastrophe I thought as most of my files / folders are on drive G so I reverted to some important files which were duplicated on my laptop and switched off the desktop thinking as reboot just might rectify things. Only after two reboots did the third Local drive appear but it shows as "F" drive. A subsequent reboot somehow revealed the same fault and "F" drive fails to show so - as it is obviously something beyond my capability to resolve - & seeing the local computer shop I frequent does not open Fridays I thought I would run this anomaly past the lounge for comments.
NB the first attachment sometimes appears if [when "F" is visible, I attempt to open it.]
the second shows "F" drive accessible.
the third shows "F" drive missing. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Drive coming and going

Post by stuck »

My guess is that the cable that connect the old disk to the motherboard is loose, so sometimes the operating system sees it on boot, other times it doesn't. If so that sounds like a trip to your local shop.

Ken
PS for an Admin, this thread belongs on the Win 7 or hardware forums, it doesn't seem to be about XP.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, Ken. I have moved this thread to the Hardware forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Sorry for posting in wrong forum, as I suspected it seems like a trip to the shop AGAIN. Regards Dave.