Mouse buttons

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Mouse buttons

Post by Dave Davison »

I just purchsed a couple of mice at a table top sale for a song the largest of which has no less than 6 buttons positioned as shown in the attachment pluss the usual left and right ones. [The unusual 6 extra ones are (2) positioned one either side and the others at the four points of the compass in the middle (plus the roller ball for scrolling of course) Any idea what these 6 extra buttons are for please? [Name on back of mouse] "Multimedi Keyboard + Optival Mouse". Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Mouse buttons

Post by HansV »

If you open the Mouse control panel (from Start > Control Panel), do you see all those buttons, or only the two standard buttons and the mouse wheel?
If so, you should be able to configure their meaning,

Otherwise: the buttons on the left and right side probably act as Back and Forward in your browser.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hello Hans.......Unless I am missing something as far as I can remember I have never seen the details as you decribe them when I have selected "Mouse" in the "Control Panel". I have clicked every option in the screen shot but can't discern any infromation about the buttons. I suspect the two on the side could well be meant to do as you suggest but they are very difficult to operate as the mouse needs to be held firm by putting downward pressure on the fixed button in the center of the four mentioned or the mouse goes sidways. Best ignored I suppose as the left / right and scroll functions work ok simply wondered what they might be for. Many thanks Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Have you installed the correct driver for your mouse?
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Dave,

Your screenshot shows the generic Mouse control panel for Windows 7. This means that the specific driver for your multi-button mouse has not been installed, and hence the extra buttons probably won't do anything.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Simple answer, having bought them from a table top sale there was no disc so unless the appropriate driver can be downloaded from the net the extra buttons will remain ornaments. But that's not an issue as the basic functions work ok so it will do as a spare if needed. (period) Regards Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

DAve,
I Googled the Multimedi keyboard + Optical mouse and got a couple of hits, one of which had dead links and the other had this statement. ( partial )
--------------------------
If you get lucky and be interested within this 2.4G Wireless Desktop Multimedi Keyboard & Optical Mouse Kit.You can order through the website immediately. Please see this before ordering 2.4G Wireless Desktop Multimedi Keyboard & Optical Mouse Kit every time.
-----------------------------
I didn't see anyplace to download any drivers or anything either.

I think you got taken by a fast seller who is now out of town, smiling?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

......not really take for a ride seeing i only offered a £1 for them both and the three main buttons work ok so - as I hinted- they will do as spares if needs arise. Seeing I can't say I relish using the mousepad on my laptop it comes in useful for that option. Thanks anyway Dave.