Mouse Problem

BobH
UraniumLounger

Mouse Problem

Post by BobH »

After experiencing problems with my Logitech wireless mouse, I bought another wireless mouse (not Logitech). I have used it for several months without problems, but recently it has begun to behave perversely. When I try to scroll down a web page or other document, it will scroll down a bit then jump back up the page and not scroll.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are there settings that I should check? Or, should I just buy a new one?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Mouse Problem

Post by HansV »

Battery low? Laser window dirty? Using it on an uneven surface?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

New battery (first thing I checked). Cleaned window. Same old surface.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Are you using the mouse wheel to scroll, or do you use the scroll bar on the right hand side?
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

There are a few other options on this troubleshooting list you could try...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:Are you using the mouse wheel to scroll, or do you use the scroll bar on the right hand side?
I try to use the scroll wheel, but when it misbehaves I resort to the bar at the right of the screen.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps the mouse wheel and/or its housing have become slightly dirty. Can you open your mouse without too much trouble? (I only need to remove one Phillips screw to open mine.) If so, use a swab moistened by clean water or alcohol to clean the mouse wheel and its housing.
Best wishes,
Hans

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

HansV wrote:Perhaps the mouse wheel and/or its housing have become slightly dirty.
Exactly what I was going to suggest. Dust or lint in the emitter-detector windows of the scroll sensor assembly can cause erratic wheel response as the circuitry reading the faulty signals can't tell the direction or amount of rotation.

Besides, Bob, you live in Texas which is almost as dusty as Florida. Before starting any surgical operations on the poor mouse, can you try blowing around the wheel with a can of "keyboard cleaner" compressed air? A blast or two may dislodge the cottonwood fluff that's lodged itself in the sensor. And for heaven's sake, keep the windows closed replace the air handler filters monthly! :laugh:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:After experiencing problems with my Logitech wireless mouse, I bought another wireless mouse (not Logitech). I have used it for several months without problems, but recently it has begun to behave perversely. When I try to scroll down a web page or other document, it will scroll down a bit then jump back up the page and not scroll.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are there settings that I should check? Or, should I just buy a new one?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob,
Did you ever resolve this problem?
I experience this behavior occasionally and have never found a fix.

Also, I'm getting really P.O.d with the mouse not recognizing a click. It will happen if I try to click on a box or an icon and if I move the mouse cursor just a bit as I click, it won't do "doodely." It has to be dead stopped to see the click. I've tried adjusting the mouse speed, cleaned the window etc.
I have a Microsoft wired optical mouse.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hi VikingBob!

I replaced mine with an inexpensive Logitech wireless from Big Lots. Works fine now. I think it might have just been at the end of its useful life.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Viking, a mouse usually does not register a click unless it is dead stopped. I would have suggested slowing the mouse speed but since you have done this already, I'm not sure what else it can be? Perhaps your mouse button is wearing out. Try temporarily swopping the buttons around, for left and righthand users and see if the click response improves. If it does then it indicates the default button is breaking.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Also as we get older we have a tendency to shake a bit. This will also keep the clicking from working.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH, Rudi, DaveA,
This was the cheapest wired, optical mouse that Staples Office Supply had on hand and I got it only about a few months ago.
Maybe this is a combination of impatience. aging ( me ) and the mouse itself? I should break down and get a better quality mouse and eliminate one of those possibilities at least. :hairout:
BOB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I have the Logitech M510. It is optical and wireless. You can see it here on EBay.

No doubt there are other sources. I chose this because it shows the relative cost.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:I have the Logitech M510. It is optical and wireless. You can see it here on EBay.

No doubt there are other sources. I chose this because it shows the relative cost.
Optical is a must but I don't care for wireless. Have one sitting on the shelf that didn't stay in service too long.
BOB

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

viking33 wrote:
BobH wrote:I have the Logitech M510. It is optical and wireless. You can see it here on EBay.

Optical is a must but I don't care for wireless. Have one sitting on the shelf that didn't stay in service too long.
I second the recommendation of the Logitech M510. I have two of them, which are 2 and 3 years old respectively, for my desktop and my laptop. They work flawlessly, they have an on-screen warning for low battery, and they fit my hand. They're better than the Dell and Microsoft mice I used at work, and far better than the no-name ones I bought because they were cheap.

I don't think the quality is a question of wired vs. wireless, unless you can't locate the little USB receiver where it gets a strong signal from the mouse's transmitter.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I'm happy with my M510 too, although I really miss the Logitech M620. It was discontinued a few years ago.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.