A second identical SIM

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

A second identical SIM

Post by AlanMiller »

I didn't use the "clone" word to avoid the "hacker" association! Here's the situation:

We bought our father an IPad hoping he could browse in the warmth, away from the icy wastes of his desktop in the den. He has one of those dongles with a SIM for his wireless connection. To my surprise, his provider (Optus) can't/won't provide a second SIM for a second device. I have heard about the possibility of cloning a SIM, which sounds like the most viable solution to this unforeseen problem. Since he would only be using one device at a time, I can't imagine any "duelling SIMs" issues. Any info on how this might be done appreciated.

Alan

HansV
Administrator

Re: A second identical SIM

Post by HansV »

You'd need a new SIM card and a SIM duplicator, but many SIM cards nowadays contain copy protection; an attempt to copy the SIM might render the original one useless. And even if you manage to duplicate the SIM, you're probably violating the phone provider's terms of service - if they find out, they may well terminate your father's contract. So I'd think twice...
Best wishes,
Hans

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

HansV wrote:You'd need a new SIM card and a SIM duplicator, but many SIM cards nowadays contain copy protection; an attempt to copy the SIM might render the original one useless. And even if you manage to duplicate the SIM, you're probably violating the phone provider's terms of service - if they find out, they may well terminate your father's contract. So I'd think twice...
When I spoke to Optus, I didn't get the impression it was a TOS violation but rather a "feature" they don't offer yet, but maybe in the future.
I wonder what the situation would be if somebody lost their SIM and wanted a replacement with their same old number. ???

Alan

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I assume they'd give you a new SIM in that situation.

You could order a SIM duplicator via the Internet (I don't have any experience with it, so I have no specific recommendations), or look around locally - there may be shops in Melbourne that will duplicate a SIM for a small charge.

Or check whether other providers are willing to sell your father a duplicate SIM (he'd have to switch to that provider, of course).
Best wishes,
Hans

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

HansV wrote:I assume they'd give you a new SIM in that situation.

You could order a SIM duplicator via the Internet (I don't have any experience with it, so I have no specific recommendations), or look around locally - there may be shops in Melbourne that will duplicate a SIM for a small charge.

Or check whether other providers are willing to sell your father a duplicate SIM (he'd have to switch to that provider, of course).
Thanks for the suggestions Hans.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I once bought a cheap SIM duplicator for a similar purpose, but it came with such dire warnings about how it might destroy the original SIM rather than copying it that I didn't even try using it!
StuartR

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

StuartR wrote:I once bought a cheap SIM duplicator for a similar purpose, but it came with such dire warnings about how it might destroy the original SIM rather than copying it that I didn't even try using it!
Seems like those sentiments are common on the web forums. I might try for the "lost SIM" option. I'm surprised they don't offer duplicate SIMs for exactly this usage. Seems like it might be a worthy selling point for ISPs.

Alan

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If you report your SIM as lost then they will send you a new one, but they will disable the old one first.
StuartR