Rodent Problem

BobH
UraniumLounger

Rodent Problem

Post by BobH »

After recovering my system from a trojan last week, I've been having problems with my mouse (Logitech Performance MX) in the application SketchUp. Scrolling with the mouse to zoom in or out on the drawing in the application does not work as it did. The zoom rate is excessive in both directions and does not stop on releasing the scroll. Formerly I could put the mouse pointer in a specific place and zoom in or out by scrolling and the result would be very precise. Now I cannot. The zoom point goes far beyond the intended destination.

I've looked around in the SketchUp help and forum and found nothing. I've been to Control Panel for the device and all looks as it always has; I've made no changes.

Can anyone suggest what this problem is or might be and how I might go about correcting it?

TIA
:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Rodent Problem

Post by Rudi »

Unfortunately this brief thread does not seem to resolve in a solution, but maybe one or two things they mention in it could spark an idea on your side?
I don't use the program, so this is just guesses here?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Have you tried uninstalling the mouse drivers and then reinstalling?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Gentlemen:

It seems that in the process of trying to solve this problem, I have lost all mouse functions. I'm posting this from wife's laptop.

I discovered that I was using a Logitech wireless mouse without a wifi receiver dongle. I DO have a Microsoft keyboard and mouse wifi receiver dongle that the mouse was apparently using before and after the system recovery. I opened a support inquiry with Logitech. One of their FAQs suggested reinstalling their SetPoint software, which I did. Now the mouse is totally unresponsive.

I've been able to navigate through most panels using keyboard commands. In Device Manager I found a generic HID device, the Logitech device and a Microsoft device. I disabled the first 2 thinking that the MS wifi would start working again. No such luck.

I then found the Logitech dongle which had been unused and plugged it into an open USB port. After restarting, I'm still without a mouse.

I'm thinking that if I could find a restore point prior to my futzing around fixing something that wasn't completely broken and breaking it completely that I might be able to restore back to the problem being only half broken. If I can get that far, the suggestions in the thread Rudi found (Thank you, Kind Sir) might help. The problem is that I cannot seem to find the right combinations to do a system restore to a point prior to this afternoon using keyboard commands. My searches so far have turned up hits but none that combine system restore and keyboard commands.

To complicate matters further, Miss Kitty (resident feline deity) is not at all happy about me sitting in the wife's chair and using her computer. She has nudged me (gently, so far) and reminded me that she still has claws.

Any suggestions (that can be shared on a family oriented board)?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

This may sound silly, but, have you tried new batteries for the mouse ?
Cheers, Claude.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, all!

After trying for a few hours to get the mouse back to where it was, I gave up and attached a wired USB mouse to my USB hub so I could navigate more easily. After trying everything I could think of and everything Logitech support suggested (and replacing the battery, Claude), I stopped by a remaindering store and picked up an ergonomic wireless mouse and installed it. After the driver self-installed, I'm going great guns with the new cheap mouse.

This has been my week for simultaneous, unrelated problems. Yesterday I had a new muffler and tailpipe put in my 25 year old Ford F150 pickup. Immediately thereafter, my turn signals (flashers/blinkers - whatever) stopped working because the flasher unit itself failed. It was day-before-yesterday that the Logitech mouse gave up the ghost simultaneously - and unrelated - to my trying to stop the the over-zooming function in SketchUp.

Again, thank you for the help and encouragement. All seems well at the moment.

:cheers: :chocciebar:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Well you can now take solace in the fact that your triple is over for the indeterminate....
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.