Lenovo

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Lenovo

Post by viking33 »

Does anyone have or heard anything regarding Lenovo hardware and PCs?
A friend has asked me about possibly buying a system made by this company. She claims it is a hot item but I've never heard of it. There are a lot of hits on it on Google but I'd rather hear of first hand experiences.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Lenovo

Post by PaulB »

I don't have a Lenovo computer so I can't comment on the hardware. Lenovo is a Chinese company that bought IBM's PC business in 2005 and just recently bought IBM's Intel based server business. They sold laptops under the Thinkpad name for a number of years but now have re-branded them under their own name.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have heard from several Lenovo owners wit Windows 8 and they have gotten lemons and had to returned them to be serviced.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Bob, I'll make your opinion harder to make as I have ONLY great thinks to say of Lenovo. When i joined up with the company I work for now, I was issued a Lenovo T510 laptop. I had always since that time been using Acer and HP laptops. I thought "Lenovo"...what make is this?? Anyways...long story short...it turned out to be a VERY good PC. Well built....sturdy and modern. It didn't feel like it would break in your hands, the black Matt finish was "cool", the screen was bright and clear, you have two ways of mouse navigation using the track pad and a center keyboard button. There was a keyboard light for use in the dark, the harddrive and DVD drive run smooth and quiet and the CPU is quick. In the four years u have had it....not a single problem. I have done upgrades from Windows 7 and Office 2007 to Office 2010, and 10 months ago, a full rewrite of the harddrive with Win8.1 and Office 2013. Zero issues again...

I am due for an upgrade soon and an eager to get the next model.

Note: Only one thing to get used to if you come off other laptop brands. The Fn button and the CTRL buttom are switched. It takes a bit of getting used to this. In the beginning you find yourself pressing the Fn button when you apply hotkeys.... But, you get used to it quickly.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I've also had good experience with (second-hand) Lenovo laptops, which, in the IBM ThinkPad tradition, are still built like tanks!
In fact, I was thinking (groan!) about getting a T520 for the charity I work for...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

At work, for a couple of years the only PCs we were allowed to buy were Lenovos. Previously we'd only ever bought Dells. We buy Dells again now.

In my opinion, the Lenovos were OK but not in the same class as the Dells. Several developed faults where the fan would suddenly run like a jet engine. Also, we had 'issues' with dual monitor set ups where on boot the PC would suddenly decide it had only one monitor, the secondary one on the VGA connection. This made it 'interesting' trying to do anything as the login dialog was being presented on the non-existent display port monitor. A reboot usually gave you a workable single monitor setup , from where you could then restore the dual monitor arrangement.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

All brands have their ups and downs.

My home PCs have been Dells for the last 16 years, and they have served me well, without any problems. My brother, though, has has much less luck with Dell - failing hard disks, failing motherboards, ...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

So far, the responses are about what I expected. Some good, some bad, some so-so.
I think she is leaning to getting a good old fashioned desktop version. I believe they offer a few of those models.

At any rate, please continue to offer any additional advice on Lenovo.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

viking33 wrote:So far, the responses are about what I expected. Some good, some bad, some so-so.
As Hans said
HansV wrote:All brands have their ups and downs.
The majority of the Lenovo desktops we bought 4 or more years ago are still running just fine, e.g. the one I'm typing on right now has never given me any bother at all but we did have a few bad ones with definite (fan related) hardware issues.

Ken