Grey colors display pinkish

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Grey colors display pinkish

Post by Pilgrim »

I just switched monitors and hooked up a Hanns-G HH241 to my Vista 32-bit PC. The issue I'm experiencing is that grey colors are being displayed with a pink hue.

I installed the latest drivers for my ATI HD Radeon 4760 video card but that didn't make any difference. Did some Googling for this issue but there were very few hits, most of which were years old and none gave much of any helpful information. I'm hoping, of course, that someone here is familiar with this anomaly and has the answer to fix it. :)

Jeff
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Grey colors display pinkish

Post by Rudi »

That is unusual?
If there is any discolouration it would affect the entire display, not just a specific colour?

Commonly, one would try the following in troubleshooting any VGA/Monitor issues:
Have you tested the white balance and adjusted the RGB settings using the monitors own internal settings?
Have you checked the video cable from the computer and the monitor to inspect the connectors on the cable for bent pins?
Try to gently wiggle the connector at both the monitor and the video card. Look for the screen to flicker or change colours.
You could also try to switch out the cable with a new one.

If you have another PC on hand, what happens if you plug the monitor into that other PC? Does it also give the pinkish hue? If so, it could be the monitor itself.

If none of the above works, maybe Hans will be able to help since the monitor is named after him... :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Rudi wrote:Have you tested the white balance and adjusted the RGB settings using the monitors own internal settings?
I don't know what "white balance" is. All settings except for brightness and contrast are set at their default settings.
Rudi wrote:Have you checked the video cable from the computer and the monitor to inspect the connectors on the cable for bent pins?
The cable is the one that I've been using for several years. It was not removed from the PC. It has always worked fine on whatever monitor I have used, including the Samsung that I replaced with this Hanns-G.
Rudi wrote:Try to gently wiggle the connector at both the monitor and the video card. Look for the screen to flicker or change colours.
You could also try to switch out the cable with a new one.
I did remove and insert both the power and video cable at the Monitor without any change.
Rudi wrote:If you have another PC on hand, what happens if you plug the monitor into that other PC? Does it also give the pinkish hue? If so, it could be the monitor itself.
The monitor was plugged into another computer (Mac Notebook Pro) and worked fine.

I've included a screenshot so the 'pinkish' tint can be seen. I'm assuming that the pink color will be displayed when viewed by others, hehe. It is definitely shows the pink when using this monitor. :grin:
pink.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The window background in your screenshot is pure white - I used a screen color picker to confirm it. But that is not surprising - to show the pink you'd have to take a photo of the screen using a (good) camera.

I assume that the color temperature of the monitor can be adjusted - this can make a big difference in the way you experience the image, so that would be worth a try.
Best wishes,
Hans

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

If the greys are fine on a different PC then I would suggest that altering the colours in display settings in Control Panel->personalisation->display settings might be a good place to go. (disclaimer - that's where colour settings are in Windows 7)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube