Seeking Wise Counsel about Earphones

BobH
UraniumLounger

Seeking Wise Counsel about Earphones

Post by BobH »

Can anyone tell me what to shop for? I want a pair of earplug type earphones but without the bulb like end. The earphones should have a microphone and volume control in line. The most important factor is comfort and the second most is that they not slip out easily.

Suggestions, please.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Seeking Wise Counsel about Earphones

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:Can anyone tell me what to shop for? I want a pair of earplug type earphones but without the bulb like end. The earphones should have a microphone and volume control in line. The most important factor is comfort and the second most is that they not slip out easily. Suggestions, please.
I prefer the in-ear earbuds that come with three sizes of soft plastic covers. They don't slip out of my ears. THAT is comforting to me.
I dislike the hard-plastic 1-centimeter diameter plugs. They slip out of my ears when I'm walking, especially on really cold days when the cables stiffen.

With our current latest blast of -30c windchill stuff I've been thinking about getting a set of those over-head ear-muff type headsets.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I prefer the in-ear earbuds that come with three sizes of soft plastic covers. They don't slip out of my ears. THAT is comforting to me.
I dislike the hard-plastic 1-centimeter diameter plugs. They slip out of my ears when I'm walking, especially on really cold days when the cables stiffen.

With our current latest blast of -30c windchill stuff I've been thinking about getting a set of those over-head ear-muff type headsets.
Can you recommend any brands or models, Chris?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:Can you recommend any brands or models, Chris?
No, Bob, I cannot. :sad:
My usual mode of operation is to discover that I have mislaid, or trodden on my current set and visit the next store that sells them, usually a small hole-in-the-wall-cellphones-unlocked-printing-faxing kind of store.
I've paid as much as $65 for a pair in Toronto, and as little as $10.

My advice: Go for a $10 set for as long as you think they might drop out of your pocket or fall under your feet!
If you are only going to listen while sitting in your favorite armchair (or desk at work ...) then buy a good set that feels good in your ears from a reputable store.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks much, Chris!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)