iPhone 5S Cables and Adapters

BobH
UraniumLounger

iPhone 5S Cables and Adapters

Post by BobH »

Knowing that Bowlie and others are Apple mavens, I need to draw on their knowledge.

The wife bought a new iPhone 5S and has run into problems using it with docks and cables because the pin connector on models 4 and 5 are different. We bought a converter and it works to charge the phone but it will not allow her to use the 5S internet radio on the lamp, speakers and dock that she has at her office. She gets a message saying that the adapter is not a certified Apple device.

I checked the Apple online store and found that they want $30 for an adapter but I see them (not claiming to be Apple compliant) on Amazon for a couple dollars. I don't want to drop $30 to Apple for their design decisions. It appears that they engineered some obsolescence and that doesn't sit well with me.

Is there a solution to this conundrum without paying the exorbitant Apple prices?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: iPhone 5S Cables and Adapters - UPDATE

Post by BobH »

Although tempted to just delete this post, I'm updating it instead just in case it might benefit someone else.

I discovered that there is an adapter described as "3.5mm Audio Supported Adapter Converter 8 Pin To 30 Pin Sync Charger For iPhone 5 iPod Touch" available from Amazon for $6 US. I've ordered it and expect to receive it Friday. I'll report back on whether or not it works.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: iPhone 5S Cables and Adapters

Post by Rudi »

TX Bob.
I will be getting an iPhone 5S in March.
Whatever I learn from this thread, I'll compensate you with in the form of :chocciebar: and :wine:

TX
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.