Looking to buy a new tablet

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Looking to buy a new tablet

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I’m shopping around looking to buy a Windows tablet device that’s fully compatible with Microsoft Office and VBA and a voice recognition program. This device will be used in the field (indoors and outdoors). Any personal experience or recommendations.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Looking to buy a new tablet

Post by HansV »

I don't have a tablet myself, but several of my colleagues are satisfied with the Microsoft Surface Pro 2. It runs a full version of Windows 8.1, so you can run any Windows software on it, including Microsoft Office with VBA.

If you want a smaller tablet, the recently announced Lenovo ThinkPad 8 looks interesting. It's not available yet, though.

(N.B. Don't confuse this with the Microsoft Surface 2 - that version runs Windows 8 RT, which only supports a stripped down version of Microsoft Office without VBA)
Best wishes,
Hans

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thanks you Hans, that was my understanding also about the Microsoft Surface 2 with Windows 8 RT, I was not aware that they also have a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 that sound very interesting. I currently us a 2GO Tablet, but seems a bit slow, bulky and not that great in day light

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

There are several 8" tablets which look interesting including the ThinkPad which Hans mentioned. However, if you really intend on working with Office on a regular basis to create and update office files you should probably stick with something with a larger screen such as the Surface Pro which is 10.3". You ought to check for some convertible or "2-in1" laptops. There are some interesting models from Lenovo Yoga series & Flex series, Dell XPS 11 & Venue 11 Pro, HP Split & Spectre & A couple Pavilion models, ASUS Vivo tab & Transformer book. In that area much depends on your budget. I'm sure you can search around and find others too. Many announcements this week at the CES show in Las Vegas.

Joe
Joe