Re: HP Pavilion g4 is incredibly slow

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thanks for that tip. I think I am going to wait for the StartIsBack trial to end and see if it uninstalls on its own and then monitor whether the computer speeds up before trying to permanently disable searching indexing.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Actually, I was just able to successfully uninstall StartIsBack. I think my last uninstall was unsuccessful and it has been in an intermediary mode between installed and uninstalled. I was able to properly uninstall it by first reinstalling it. This caused it to appear in Windows' Add / Remove Programs dialogue. From there, I was able to select it and uninstall it. I will monitor whether this resolves the computer's occasional speed problems.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I just upgraded to 16 GB of RAM. Either because of that or because StartIsBack was uninstalled, the laptop is no longer having the speed issues.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

The computer got really slow again about a month ago.

I just tried running Malwarebytes, but that removed 48 items that caused Babylon to run incorrectly.
Then I tried disabling Synaptics touchpad enhancer, but then my touchpad was not working.
So I feel like each time I do something to speed up my computer, the software or hardware does not run correctly.

I will disable SearchIndexer.exe to see if it speeds things up. If not I may give PC Decrapifier (http://pcdecrapifier.com/download" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) a try.
Regards,

JMT

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:The computer got really slow again about a month ago.

I just tried running Malwarebytes, but that removed 48 items that caused Babylon to run incorrectly.
Then I tried disabling Synaptics touchpad enhancer, but then my touchpad was not working.
So I feel like each time I do something to speed up my computer, the software or hardware does not run correctly.

I will disable SearchIndexer.exe to see if it speeds things up. If not I may give PC Decrapifier (http://pcdecrapifier.com/download" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) a try.
How did you "disable" SearchIndexer.exe?
Why not just delete it?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Sorry, I mean I ended the task. I am not sure how to delete it, at least not from the Task Manager, and in any case would be concerned that deleting it could cause my system to become unstable.
Regards,

JMT

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:Sorry, I mean I ended the task. I am not sure how to delete it, at least not from the Task Manager, and in any case would be concerned that deleting it could cause my system to become unstable.
See this thread by Hans.
Disabling\deleting Indexer would not make your system unstable.
BOB

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

If I disable Search Indexing, then there will be a lag whenever I run a search in Windows Explorer or Outlook, right? I am not sure if overall, my computer would be faster.

My computer is still very slow. I just uninstalled 29 HP games that came pre-installed on my computer and Abbey FineReader. Maybe that will speed it up ...
Regards,

JMT

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:If I disable Search Indexing, then there will be a lag whenever I run a search in Windows Explorer or Outlook, right? I am not sure if overall, my computer would be faster.

My computer is still very slow. I just uninstalled 29 HP games that came pre-installed on my computer and Abbey FineReader. Maybe that will speed it up ...
TRY disabling indexing. You can always enable it again, if it doesn't do something for you. You will never know unless you try something!
Personally, I disabled indexing quite a long time ago and I don't see any huge or any difference in search time.
BOB

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I was expecting this laptop to have a Celeron processor because I heard that Celeron was the really slow processor to watch out for. Instead, it has the A6 Vision AMD processor.

Can anyone give me some general guidance as to which processors to avoid in a new laptop? I want the laptop to be speedy while simultaneously running several MS Office applications, IE windows and Adobe Creative Suite applications (such as Photoshop).
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Laptops generally have slower CPUs than desktop computers because powerful CPUs consume a lot of energy, reducing the time between battery recharges, and generating a lot of warmth.

Intel does have some pretty fast CPUs for laptops in their i5 and i7 range, but they tend to be expensive.

If you're comparing different CPUs, you can look them up in CPU Benchmarks. I'd look for something with a Passmark CPU mark of at least 5,000. And get 64-bit Windows with at least 4, preferably 8 (or more) GB of RAM.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The biggest performance factor in laptops is often the hard drive. I usually swap laptop hard drives for SSD drives, and get a massive performance improvement with a reduction in noise, a reduction in heat, and an increase in battery life.
StuartR

ringel05
NewLounger

Post by ringel05 »

My wife's old Inspiron is that way, but it's because it's an old duo core with only one gig of RAM and she opens 20 different applications and leaves them open. I keep telling her it's not a desktop and can't handle the load she's putting on it. Need to get her a new one but she want's a 17" quad core with no number pad and she's gonna need at least 8gigs of RAM.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

HansV wrote: If you're comparing different CPUs, you can look them up in CPU Benchmarks. I'd look for something with a Passmark CPU mark of at least 5,000. And get 64-bit Windows with at least 4, preferably 8 (or more) GB of RAM.
Hans, a CPU mark of at least 5,000 puts it in a very high range, doesn't it? And such laptops are also in the upper range in terms of cost as well.
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi JMT,

Just to let you know that Hans is traveling currently and will be back in the lounge from Saturday/Sunday again.
Cheers
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

jmt356 wrote:Hans, a CPU mark of at least 5,000 puts it in a very high range, doesn't it? And such laptops are also in the upper range in terms of cost as well.
You can opt for a slower CPU of course, but then you'll be repeating the complaint that started this thread before too long...
Best wishes,
Hans