Dell Mobo Fan Connector

BobH
UraniumLounger

Dell Mobo Fan Connector

Post by BobH »

(If I've asked this here before, I'm claiming "King's X" and pleading CRS - and "Yes!" I'm old enough to have CRS.)

One of my desktop systems started life as a standard Dell Dimension 4700 with a P4 processor. It has been transformed by a new case and additional hard drives, a new graphics card, larger PSU, more RAM . . . The most recent change was a set of new and much quieter case fans. None of the new fans has a power connector to match the original on the Dell mobo. This connection has to do with a feature called SmartFan about which I know nothing. I just connected the fans to other power sources. Now the BIOS gives me a nag message on startup saying that no fan is connected to the mobo and forcing me to press F1 to continue to boot. This is problematic because I'd like to have an early morning autoboot and run scheduled jobs for housekeeping. Of course, no one is awake to press F1.

The pin connector is either proprietary to Dell or is so arcane as to not be identifiable. You can no longer talk to Dell without spending $50, and I didn't think this answer worth finding out that you can't get there from here - which is the usual Dell answer these days. The connector is identified as J1F1 on the mobo. I've googled and found that other people have experienced the same problem with other Dell systems when replacing fans. Nowhere could I find a solution (or, at least, one that I could understand). I originally thought that I might be able to find a connector of this sort from a supplier but that search has been fruitless. The folks I got the fans from could shed no light on the issue either.

Finally, I looked around for hacks to the BIOS - which I am, by nature, averse to doing except as a last resort - and could find none. In fact, I was unable to find any references to hacking the BIOS to fix this issue.

Anyone have any suggestions or resources they can point me to?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Dell Mobo Fan Connector

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:(If I've asked this here before,
The pin connector is either proprietary to Dell or is so arcane as to not be identifiable.
Finally, I looked around for hacks to the BIOS - which I am, by nature, averse to doing except as a last resort - and could find none. In fact, I was unable to find any references to hacking the BIOS to fix this issue.

Anyone have any suggestions or resources they can point me to?
Checking around for specific information on Dell CPU wiring was ( I'll have to agree ) rather uninformative. I don't have a Dell machine, so I can't relate to anything on my hardware. Most sites that I hit DID agree that the Dell standard pinout was a three (3) pin connector on the mobo for the CPU fan. two wires being of course, the power and ground leads for the fan motor itself. The third wire being a BIOS speed control lead.
Without any particular electrical info in hand, I would go into the BIOS and CAREFULLY check for ANY mention of fan speed or control settings.
The BIOS can't be hacked, since it is Firmware, not software such as the registry. Any changes to BIOS firmware is made via a BIOS update ONLY.
I realize this isn't very much help but if I were you, I would be crawling up the backs of the DELL techs for real help. :bash:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, viking33!

I've checked every option in the BIOS settings screens and can find nothing to do with fans.

As for crawling up the backs of Dell techs . . . well, you've got to find one that speaks your language first. No one that you can reach by phone or email will respond without referenced payment first being made.

I DO live about 40 miles North of the Dell HQ in Round Rock, TX, and I could just sorta show up there; but I suspect that all I would find would be suits and no techs. :hairout:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Thanks, viking33!

I've checked every option in the BIOS settings screens and can find nothing to do with fans.

As for crawling up the backs of Dell techs . . . well, you've got to find one that speaks your language first. No one that you can reach by phone or email will respond without referenced payment first being made.

I DO live about 40 miles North of the Dell HQ in Round Rock, TX, and I could just sorta show up there; but I suspect that all I would find would be suits and no techs. :hairout:
Perhaps someone here that has a Dell machine can give a more definitive answer to BIOS settings. Could be a mention of temperature control or some other term that would apply to the fan?
Talking to the Dell "techs" at least in my mind would be yelling and screaming for a "higher authority" who has enough stripes to make things happen. Even the threat of a side trip to Dell HQ would be tempting enough in my mind, if they were THAT nearby!

Let's see if a Dell user here can jump in with an idea.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.