Where Do You Get Your Drivers?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Where Do You Get Your Drivers?

Post by BobH »

Usually I check the manufacturer's website for driver updates. Sometimes I find them - or learn that there are none - and sometimes I don't.

I need to check to see if there is a driver update for my GSU (NVIDIA EVGA GeForce 9500 GT), but the NVIDIA driver pages no longer show this device. Even a search of their web page failed to find it. The card is several years old - maybe as many as 5 or 6. I can find all kind of references to the card and some links to driver downloads; however, I don't know what sites to trust and which to avoid. I've had problems going to driver download sites and with software pushed down when downloading drivers.

What sites do you trust for driver downloads? Where do you go - other than the OEM - to find out if there are driver updates?

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Where Do You Get Your Drivers?

Post by BobH »

Whoops !

I went back to the NVIDIA page and realized that I missed an option. I found the one I need; however, my original question stands. There are times when my fu runs cold and I cannot find what I need.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I seldom feel the need to update drivers. In this case, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" works for me.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:I seldom feel the need to update drivers. In this case, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" works for me.
I agree entirely with that sentiment, Hans; however, there are times when resolving problems that one must innovate and/or eliminate possible problems. It is for those occasions that I would like to have a reliable site for downloading drivers, much like a reliable site for downloading free software.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I think my "philosophy" is the same as yours, Bob. I always try the OEM site first, then the computer manufacturer. I often also use Belarc Advisor to get help on a device name and nomenclature. Video is probably the MOST difficult to deal with because it's such a rapidly changing world at those companies.

Anyhoo, a long time ago I picked up on this one and have only used it a couple of times, so be VERY careful. It has never wroght any spam or bad stuff, I just mean to be careful of whatever DRIVERS it might recommend. Get yourself a backup (I think you do) beforehand.

(As usual there is also a Pro version but I have the free one)

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

One more I forgot, since we're on the subject of drivers. One of the software vendors that many of us here like is a place called NirSoft.

Earlier this year, Viking Bob pointed out that NirSoft has a driver identification utility that gives you a list of all drivers installed on your system. Could come in handy where nomenclatures are concerned.

DriverView: Loaded Windows Drivers List

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:One more I forgot, since we're on the subject of drivers. One of the software vendors that many of us here like is a place called NirSoft.

Earlier this year, Viking Bob pointed out that NirSoft has a driver identification utility that gives you a list of all drivers installed on your system. Could come in handy where nomenclatures are concerned.

DriverView: Loaded Windows Drivers List
Also, to see the other utilities offered by Nirsoft:

Go to: http://www.nirsoft.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Wow!

Thanks to you both!

That is a TREASURY of information.

When I looked at my drivers, there were 185 in the list and only 11 of them were not attributed to Microsoft. That was a surprise. I thought that the sources would be more diverse.

Thanks, again!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)