USB Drives

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

USB Drives

Post by Bigaldoc »

Don't know if anyone remembers this old thread from June 2011: TWO USB Backup Drives

Around the time of that thread I had bought two more Cavalry 500 gig drives and one is still sitting unused in its box.

I started turning OFF the drive that's not being used for backup in the current week and reversing that the following week. Been doing it ever since. I run my full image backup starting on Sunday each week and as I was swapping the power on/power off this morning I got to thinking about my "history" of FIFTEEN months life on USB drives.

Since I mark devices with a Sharpie when placed in service, I just checked my current two drives. One was installed in March 2010 and the other in July 2011. ( :crossfingers: ) That makes the older about 20 months old, so maybe it IS a heat and/or "R&R" question.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: USB Drives

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:Don't know if anyone remembers this old thread from June 2011: TWO USB Backup Drives

Around the time of that thread I had bought two more Cavalry 500 gig drives and one is still sitting unused in its box.

I started turning OFF the drive that's not being used for backup in the current week and reversing that the following week. Been doing it ever since. I run my full image backup starting on Sunday each week and as I was swapping the power on/power off this morning I got to thinking about my "history" of FIFTEEN months life on USB drives.

Since I mark devices with a Sharpie when placed in service, I just checked my current two drives. One was installed in March 2010 and the other in July 2011. ( :crossfingers: ) That makes the older about 20 months old, so maybe it IS a heat and/or "R&R" question.
Maybe, Al.
It seems a drive that's turned OFF would not be subject to the wear and tear of a constantly running one.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.