Memory Card Reader

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Memory Card Reader

Post by Skitterbug »

Okay, there seems to be several to purchase. I'd like one that will read different types of memory cards but I don't want to pay a fortune for it. Anyone have a favorite that works as advertised? Thanks!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Memory Card Reader

Post by BobH »

Hi Skitterbug!

I bought one made by Kingston Tecdhnology, Part#: FCF-HS219/1.

It connects via USB. It has worked very well for every memory card type I've fed it.

It has reader slots for mini/SD and SD/MMC, micro SD and MMC micro, CF/MD, and MW2 and MS/DUO.

It came with a short dongle and a longer (2 meters, I think) cable.

I got it here: Kinglston Flash Memory Reader

HTH
Last edited by BobH on 14 Oct 2012, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

Hi Skitterbug

I bought one of these about six months ago. it has worked flawlessly for me.
Regards
Don

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hmmm... looks like they're all pretty reliable then.

I bought this one a couple of years ago and it hasn't ever failed on me.

Epraizer USB 2.0 Universal Card Reader, 62-IN-1

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I agree with Al, unless you buy something from a website of doubtful provenance, I don't think there is much difference in these devices. I bought a cheap one years ago from a UK high street retailer. It's never failed but it does have one problem though. It is so old it can't read modern (high capacity) SD cards.

At the risk of pirating this thread... Card failure is another matter. Buy a known brand of card from a known reputable supplier even if it costs more. Counterfeits abound!

Ken

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Thank you everyone for your replies! Looks like it is down to finding a reader - brand not necessarily a consideration - on sale for a decent price! And it should work. Sounds like a good plan to me! :laugh:

Ken - I agree about the memory cards. And I suppose even one purchased from a reliable manufacture could fail at some point. But at least if a person starts out with a known product, the chances are better that the media should do the job!

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Skitterbug wrote:I suppose even one purchased from a reliable manufacture could fail at some point.
:yep: so back up, back up, back up

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Just another point . . .

I bought a card reader because the link between camera and computer began to fail. When I reported the problem here, I learned (from Big Al, I think) that the card readers on digicams often fail making it impossible to upload directly from the camera (at least, that was the symptom I was having). Since buying and using the card reader, I have had no problems uploading pics.

FWIW
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

stuck wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:I suppose even one purchased from a reliable manufacture could fail at some point.
:yep: so back up, back up, back up

Ken
Sounds like a good plan to me! :grin:

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

BobH wrote:Just another point . . .

I bought a card reader because the link between camera and computer began to fail. When I reported the problem here, I learned (from Big Al, I think) that the card readers on digicams often fail making it impossible to upload directly from the camera (at least, that was the symptom I was having). Since buying and using the card reader, I have had no problems uploading pics.

FWIW
Good point! Mainly I want the card reader so I can move the files from my disk to my computer without the need for using some app to do it. It ought to be as simple as going into Finder [mac] or Explorer [PC] and then dragging the files from the source to the destination!
And then from this point, I can delete the memory card's contents and back up my uploaded pic files to my external HD. At some point, I could also burn a DVD with my files if I feel the need to. Paranoid I suppose but I don't want to lose my pics!
So that's my plan! Now to find the card reader and put it into play!
:cheers:

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Excellent plan! I may be stating the obvious here, but make sure the card reader will read your card format. Most cameras support some version of the SD card, but these come in at least 3 formats: SD, SDHC and SDXC. Some older card readers may not support all types.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Skitterbug wrote:It ought to be as simple as going into Finder [mac] or Explorer [PC] and then dragging the files from the source to the destination!
It will be.
Skitterbug wrote:And then from this point, I can delete the memory card's contents
I don't delete the files on the card. I only copy them off. Not until the card is full do I wipe it and then only by using the camera to reformat it. Call me paranoid but my thinking is that deleting stuff as I go is likely to fragment the space on the card, which in turn may fragment subsequent files that are written to the card. Fragmented files might be more prone to error/loss.

voices off :whisper: Ken, you're paranoid.

Ken

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

stuck wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:It ought to be as simple as going into Finder [mac] or Explorer [PC] and then dragging the files from the source to the destination!
It will be.
Skitterbug wrote:And then from this point, I can delete the memory card's contents
I don't delete the files on the card. I only copy them off. Not until the card is full do I wipe it and then only by using the camera to reformat it. Call me paranoid but my thinking is that deleting stuff as I go is likely to fragment the space on the card, which in turn may fragment subsequent files that are written to the card. Fragmented files might be more prone to error/loss.

voices off :whisper: Ken, you're paranoid.

Ken
I hadn't thought about it this way but I think you may be right! The few I have taken, I've deleted but I think I am going to follow your idea and fill the card. :whisper: Paranoid isn't all bad!
You have not had any problems formatting the card through your camera? I'd say the answer is no to this question or you would have suggested a better way! :grin:

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm "partially" in Ken's court. I don't erase files from the card until it gets pretty full. But, I don't resort to formatting.

After copying all the ones I need to my computer, I've DELETED ALL on the card and not had any problems that have led me to think I need to format the card.

By the way, all the cards I use happen to be SDHC.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Bigaldoc wrote:I'm "partially" in Ken's court. I don't erase files from the card until it gets pretty full. But, I don't resort to formatting.

After copying all the ones I need to my computer, I've DELETED ALL on the card and not had any problems that have led me to think I need to format the card.

By the way, all the cards I use happen to be SDHC.
Considering what any of these memory cards are made of, it is a wonder they are as durable as they appear to be. :grin:

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Skitterbug wrote:You have not had any problems formatting the card through your camera?
If you format in camera then the question of which file system to use for the format is irrelevant because the camera knows which file system (probably FAT32) it requires. I'm not sure but I think Canon's in camera format goes a bit further and creates an empty folder structure on the card as well.

In contrast, if you use a computer to format the card then you have to know which file system to choose (and whether or not you need to create a folder structure or not). I suspect most Windows systems will format by default as NTFS, while a MAC will default to whatever it is MAC uses. The camera wouldn't be able to read/write to these formats.

Ken

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

I think I have a solution for this one! I'm putting it on my "Christmas List"! :rofl: If I am lucky and receive one from the kids, I'll post back. And if I don't receive one, I'll have to decide. :grin:
Thanks for all the helpful information!