Coffee related incident

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Coffee related incident

Post by agibsonsw »

My Windows 7, Compaq laptop has come back to life after a recent "coffee related incident". I can't open the battery bay or the CD drive, but this is not a major concern. But a number of letters, including the Space bar, on the laptop-keyboard aren't functioning.

Without paying a fortune to a repair center, is there a piece of software, or a (DOS) setting, that might assist in (possibly) fixing these issues?
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Coffee related incident

Post by Bigaldoc »

I can't think of a single piece of software that will fix a liquid spill into a computer. Sorry... mebbe someone more knowledgeable will respond.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You're only option is to open up the laptop, dry it out thoroughly, and then probably replace the keyboard. You can buy a replacement keyboard for a fairly low cost (£20 to £40) and it is not too difficult to replace, but does require some hardware competence.
StuartR

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks both. I was being foolishly-optimistic in asking about a piece of software to fix this, although an MS dialog offered to go online to fix my laptop, but never did :laugh:

I can't open the case as the battery bay is jammed (the release switch doesn't move). I'll have to try to get around this somehow - without breaking the case. In the meantime, at least it is still alive :)
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Must have been SOME coffee :smile:

Seeing the you can't remove the battery, let the battery drain completely, wait an hour, turn the lap top back on and repeat until you can't restart it at all.

To take a laptop apart, one starts by removing the keyboard. You'll find, when you look closely, that it is being held in place by a few (normally 5) tiny hooks at the top of the keyboard, locking it into the case.

You'll need a small screwdriver to push them open, once unlocked, remove the keyboard gently and remove the cable which is held in a slide-lock in the center of the motherboard .

Once you've removed the keyboard, spray it with an electrical contact cleaner which you should be able to get from electronics / hobby shops
Cheers, Claude.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

some keyboards are also attached with screws from the bottom of the laptop
StuartR

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

StuartR wrote:some keyboards are also attached with screws from the bottom of the laptop
I've never come across one of them, all the ones I took apart started by removing the keyboard. :shrug:
Cheers, Claude.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks for this great advice. I shall follow it once I've got hold of some magic electrical contact cleaner.

Once I'd spilt the coffee from a (top-heavy) polystyrene container, that is when I was advised "that is why we insisted on the company providing regular-shaped mugs"! I.e., after the event :groan:

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Claude wrote:I've never come across one of them, all the ones I took apart started by removing the keyboard. :shrug:
Here's a photo showing the keyboard screws on the bottom of my HP Compaq nc6220 laptop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I've drained the battery and ordered the contact cleaner. I suppose as a first attempt I can spray between the keys without opening the case? I'm still suspicious that I won't be able to open the case fully without forcing the battery lock open :groan:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I don't think spraying between the keys will do ANY good.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

viking33 wrote:I don't think spraying between the keys will do ANY good.
I think you are right :cheers: