Help with Writing to DVD

BobH
UraniumLounger

Help with Writing to DVD

Post by BobH »

I very rarely ever write anything to an optical disk. I have a need to write a small .txt file to a DVD-R disk but Windows (XP-SP3) will not let me do the usual right-click|Send to . . . command. I'm getting an error message saying that "Windows encountered a problem trying to write to this file . . . "

I searched on that error message and found a Microsoft FixYa solution and ran it. This did not fix the problem (although in the report it says that it encountered the fact that the device could not write but that it successfully installed 'write' software).

I then decided to look for a new driver for the is relatively new DVD drive. I found a web page from the manufacturer (Optiarc) with driver downloads, but it wanted to install a program called Driver Manager on the system. I've had problems with this software (or some very like it) in the past and am reluctant to allow the driver manager software to be installed.

Any suggestions?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Help with Writing to DVD

Post by Bigaldoc »

Couple questions, Bob. I will admit that I don't do mine the way you tried. I usually use burning software separate from Windows.

You did have a disc in the drive when you tried the "send to" command, didn't ya?

The error message is a bit puzzling to me. How about opening Windows Explorer, put a disk in the DVD drive and drag-n-drop the file in Windows Explorer to the DVD drive. Do you get that same result?

We also need to check the viability of the drive. Put a disk in there that you KNOW contains good stuff and try clicking it inside Windows Explorer to see if you can "see" the disk. I'm wondering if the drive is failing and may need to be re-installed. I admit I'm shooting in the dark here.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hi Big Al!

How are things in the Blue Grass State today?

I think I got through my mental fog. I was perplexed because the error messages were saying that the new Sony DVD drive would not write. I think I finally figured out that Windows would not write to it for lack of some software; so I used the search function here and found reference to a freeware program called CD Burner XP. I downloaded and installed it and then used its interface to drag and drop the file onto the DVD and clicked the 'burn' button. I was prompted through the rest of the process by the software to include leaving the DVD un-finalized so that I can append files later if need be.

I haven't tried it yet, but the proof of the pudding will be if the data can be read on my other desktop.

Thanks for the help!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Good luck and keep us (me) posted how ya make out. I also have a very old version of that program installed but haven't used it ever since I bought Ashampoo burning software, which I like.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I use CDburnerXP, which also handles DVDs and all recent versions of Windows!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

John Gray wrote:I use CDburnerXP
Which works for me as well on a fully patched XPMCE system.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, folks!

I think my issues were all operator head space problems. As I age, I'm finding that I've forgotten things that once were easy to recall. Thank you again for being there and for helping.

John-Ken:
Have the Ouse and Derwent returned to docility yet?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:Have the Ouse and Derwent returned to docility yet?
Yes, they are down again. Still got a lot of water in them and probably still all over fields out of the towns but the centres are clearing up the mud and returning to normal.

Ken