No power to laptop

jmt356
SilverLounger

No power to laptop

Post by jmt356 »

I was using my laptop and then unplugged it, worked on the batter for a while, and then plugged it back in. When I plugged it back in, I found it was not charging. I tried removing the battery, and it still was not charging. I checked the outlet and found there was indeed electricity coming out. So for some reason, my computer is not getting power.

I checked my adaptor. It is firmly plugged into the wall and into my laptop. The connection from the wall to the adaptor box is solid.

What could be causing this?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: No power to laptop

Post by HansV »

You state that the battery is not charging. That would seem to indicate that there is a problem with the battery or its power management.
But you also state that your computer is not getting power - does that mean that the laptop won't run?
Do you have a spare battery? If so, what happens if you place that in your laptop?
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

The laptop does run. However, when I saw that the battery had 35% charge left and was not charging, I hibernated the computer to avoid any more discharge of the battery. I don't have a spare battery to test ...
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'd take out the battery and clean its contacts.
Blow the dust out of the battery compartment of the laptop and, if possible, clean the contacts carefully.
Put the battery back in.
Do the same for the adapter.
Make sure that all plugs are seated firmly.
If the battery is still not charging, you'd better turn the laptop in for service.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Is this the same laptop/battery you referred to here: Eileen's Lounge • Battery / power supply issue ?
Leif

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Yes; it is the same laptop.
Regards,

JMT

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:I was using my laptop and then unplugged it, worked on the batter for a while, and then plugged it back in. When I plugged it back in, I found it was not charging. I tried removing the battery, and it still was not charging. I checked the outlet and found there was indeed electricity coming out. So for some reason, my computer is not getting power.

I checked my adaptor. It is firmly plugged into the wall and into my laptop. The connection from the wall to the adaptor box is solid.

What could be causing this?
You state that you removed the battery and it still was not charging?
I don't see how it could be charging if it has been removed?

How did you check the outlet to see if electricity was "coming out?"

Solid appearing connections do not necessarily mean GOOD connections.
You need a voltmeter to determine that. If you have none or don't know how to use it then a trip to the repair shop or to a friend who does have one and can test it properly, is in order.
If all power connections are in good working order, your laptop should run without the battery and on local power sources.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I meant that taking out the battery did not cause power to reach the machine because the power light that normally goes on when the adaptor is plugged in was not lighting up. Another laptop plugged into the outlet in question was charging correctly.

It turned out that the wire connecting the adaptor to the wall was damaged. I replaced the whole adaptor and it is now working.
Regards,

JMT

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together ?!?!?!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:I meant that taking out the battery did not cause power to reach the machine because the power light that normally goes on when the adaptor is plugged in was not lighting up. Another laptop plugged into the outlet in question was charging correctly.

It turned out that the wire connecting the adaptor to the wall was damaged. I replaced the whole adaptor and it is now working.
I guess it's a good case for giving as much information and details as you can when trying to explain just what is or isn't happening. The fact that there was no power indicator on the adapter would tend to point right to the adapter as the source of your trouble and not the batteries or charger or the laptop itself. More information is better than not enough info. :evilgrin: :scratch: ( in these cases at least )
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.