Radio will not play MP3s

jmt356
SilverLounger

Radio will not play MP3s

Post by jmt356 »

Hello

I have a car CD player which states MP3 / USB on it. I tried playing a CD to which I burned .MP3 files and it doesn't play them. I then inserted a CD with .CDA files on it, and it played them fine. Does anyone have any inkling as to the potential problem?

Thank you
Regards,

JMT

Leif
Administrator

Re: Radio will not play MP3s

Post by Leif »

Perhaps it only plays MP3s through the USB port...?
Leif

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Just google the brand and model number for a full instruction manual.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Sounds like a good plan to me, Bob !!!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Just google the brand and model number for a full instruction manual.
While the brand might be fairly obvious, like Ford or Delco, etc., finding the model number could be a real chore, unless you pulled the radio out and looked for a product information label, usually on the rear of the radio.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

We have a boom box that plays mp3 on a cd but all files should reside on the root of the cd and not inside folders to be playable.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I have both an MP3 and a WMA file on the root of a CD and USB. Neither are playing.

Let me see if the USB adaptor is faulty ...

By the way, is anyone aware of whether car radios are interchangeable? For example, can I swap out the radio of one car with the radio of a different model car, or do the radios have to be from the same make and model? Considering how prevalent car radio theft is, I would think that car radios are interchangeable.
Regards,

JMT

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:I have both an MP3 and a WMA file on the root of a CD and USB. Neither are playing.

Let me see if the USB adaptor is faulty ...

By the way, is anyone aware of whether car radios are interchangeable? For example, can I swap out the radio of one car with the radio of a different model car, or do the radios have to be from the same make and model? Considering how prevalent car radio theft is, I would think that car radios are interchangeable.
Direct interchangeability between car brands is not possible.
Wiring and connectors are definitely different. The mechanical shape and size are usually different.
Most times radios from the same manufacturer are interchangeable, IF the dashboard openings are similar.
That's not saying that you could not "jury rig" one to another by rewiring
the cabling etc., and using lots of duct tape but I certainly wouldn't
recommend it.
BOB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I have installed after-market radios on many vehicles. In fact, all 4 of the vehicles we have now have after-market CD/MP3/AM-FM Radios installed in them. There are rarely any major issues for interchanging but frequently one must use an adapter or converter plug for wiring changes.

If you are considering purchasing a new radio for the vehicle, I would recommend crutchfield.com. They have the means to tell you exactly what issues you might encounter from the size of the opening in your vehicle to complete answers to any questions about wiring and installation. I have purchased from them and received technical support and found both experiences very good. (No financial or other interests except as a satisfied customer.)
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:I have installed after-market radios on many vehicles. In fact, all 4 of the vehicles we have now have after-market CD/MP3/AM-FM Radios installed in them. There are rarely any major issues for interchanging but frequently one must use an adapter or converter plug for wiring changes.

If you are considering purchasing a new radio for the vehicle, I would recommend crutchfield.com. They have the means to tell you exactly what issues you might encounter from the size of the opening in your vehicle to complete answers to any questions about wiring and installation. I have purchased from them and received technical support and found both experiences very good. (No financial or other interests except as a satisfied customer.)
I think the question was about interchangeability of major brand radios, not after market types. Ford to GM or Chrysler to Ford or whatever. They do not go together.
After-market brands, sure, that's what they are marketed for, so that with wiring adapters and installation kits they can go just about anywhere. Wiring adapters are mandatory unless you by-pass the OEM connector and hard wire to the wire leads themselves.
Crutchfield is one of the good ones. A tad pricey but have good support and a good selection of various types and and features.
BOB