Petulant, sulky Installation and abrupt trial period.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Petulant, sulky Installation and abrupt trial period.

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Disclaimer: I am in email correspondence with the supplier and he is a very reasonable chap. I'll probably try to give ***** a second chance, but check out my experience of 2 days ago:-

(1) I installed, then uninstalled, one by one, five different screen capture programs.
(2) Later that day I went back to re-install 4th of the 5, the one that had showed most promise.
(3) It refused to install! Saying that my 30-day trial had expired!

I have never before experienced software that took a "prior installation" as evidence that a 30-day period had elapsed!

> The program is working perfectly, it found your prior installation.
> Aren't you impressed now?
12.gif
Not terribly.
It seems to me that what I did was reasonable - tried several programs and then went back to the one that seemed most promising.
In the real world we interview 10 candidates for a job or position, then ask 2 back for a second interview.
It's a natural thing to do.
Being called back for a second interview is tantamount to being offered the job, isn't it?

The installation program is acting like a petulant candidate, and refusing to be re-interviewed; refusing to be given a second chance.

It seems to me that a 30-day trial should be what it says - permission to run the program over a period of 30 days from the date of its initial installation.

In *****'s case, I went back and decided to give it a second chance, and ***** said "No! You have already installed me earlier this day. I'm not going to let you try me any longer".

I'm inclined to agree with *****.
I wouldn't want to be associated with a petulant sulker like that in my business.

Would You?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Petulant, sulky Installation and abrupt trial period.

Post by Bigaldoc »

Chris, I have a somewhat selfish reason for asking: do you mind telling us what the names are of those you tried, please?

I have been a long-time user of FastStone Capture and am in the process of using it to create videos. I was asked yesterday by my former boss about the program and if I know of any others that will do ..... and he proceeded to ask for things like zoom and a couple of others.

I promise not to quote your name unless you ask me to, but unlike you, I've not tried any other capture programs for several years, so I'd be interested in one or two pros/cons on those you tried. (the question about zoom is not of concern)

Thanks a lot...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bigaldoc wrote: do you mind telling us what the names are of those you tried, please?
Not at all.

FastStone: (got the ref from your earlier thread). Screen snapshots only (as far as I could see).
I want to capture screen video and microphone audio to release proof-of-concept videos to prospective clients.

TopView Software: I couldn't understand the user interface

Easy Screen: 3 trial runs only, then you're dead.

Capture WizPro: Couldn't get it to record the mic.

ACA Capture Pro: Couldn't get it to record the mic.

In general: I have been spoiled for 12 months by the free Camtasia version which, AFAIK won't run on my 64-bit Win7 HP system.
The five systems I looked at quickly (all within my lunch hour) seem quite klutzy by comparison, including the one that said "I don't care if you just had each candidate in for an interview and have decided to choose me. I'm NOT going to be re-installed!".

I found the user-interface confusing in most of them. In a couple it took me two tries to work out how to record, stop, and save. I could learn how to do it and then it'd be no problem.

Two of them, at least, when I played back the video in WinAmp 5.6.1(?), the video was upside down. I don't know whether that's what you get with a trial version, or whether it's a bug. I doubt it's a bug in WinAmp.

Freeze: Then I found this, but it seemed to be identical to one I'd already reviewed, so I dropped it.

I spent 5 minutes of my valuable(grin) time considering Camtasia at $300 per copy. The $300 should be repaid by increased sales of my skills, such as they are, but then I looked again and figured that Camtasia was overkill for me.

I need software to make a 2-minute recording of me telling the listener what I'm doing and using the mouse to demonstrate some application of proof-of-concept that I've written. No fancy editing. Just record/stop/save/thanks!
As in http://www.chrisgreaves.com/videos-3/

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thank you for the references, Chris. I think, based on your evaluations, I'll keep this one between you, me and our Loungers. My former boss "could" someday be my boss again! :smile:

However, about my FastStone experience. I learned yesterday that I had a bad microphone. I've recorded a couple of "useless" tests and you might want to look at one, for the $20 (US) price of FastStone can't be beat.

I put one on my domain for a few other people to test. Remember, I'm still learning, so this one is not the professional that a teaching pro like you might eventually make. I still have to learn where and how to position the mic:

http://www.alhoffman.org/Facebook%20How ... 0Video.wmv

Added Later: A small clip of the FastStone Capture menu if you right-click the tray icon. I don't use their ribbon because I don't need it onscreen perpetually.

PS: You're probably saying something similar if you DO choose to watch/listen to my video, but after all these years of "knowing" you via The Lounge, do I detect a residual "Aussie" accent in your videos? :flee: :fanfare:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bigaldoc wrote:However, about my FastStone experience ...
OK, Al. Thanks for giving me a heads-up that FastStone captures video (and audio).
Again, with my original essay the user interface rattled me. I saw only "PrtScr" image capture mechanisms when I looked.
Hans's thread Update: FastStone Capture 6.9 has also come in handy.
Thanks Hans!

I d/l 6.9, installed it, noted that, unlike some other product it recognized a previous installation and recommenced the countdown at 28 days.
'nuff said!

I recorded, as a trial, me playing MSHearts, and what a trial it was! I gave up after three cards!
So, it's onwards and upwards with videos again ..

I agree with your $20 tip.
I don't need but 10% of Camtasia right now, so $20 for a one-off registration is a good deal.

...do I detect a residual "Aussie" accent in your videos? :flee: :fanfare:
Yeah, a bit. When I'm with an Aussie I lapse right back into a goldfields accent that is totally incomprehensible to Canadians. It goes deep.
Of course, to Australians I sound like "An American", which is, after all, a compliment.
My accent serves me well with telephone calls. There's usually enough of an accent to "hook" the listener long enough for me to dig my way into a conversation.

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

I have just uploaded 2 lists to my freeware Google Docs web page which may be of interest:

Presentations, Screencasting & Tutorials
Screen Capture

- http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxPQVZY ... NGU5&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tiny URL - http://tinyurl.com/y9jcds9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some imaging viewing software also has screen capture capabilities eg
Irfanview - http://www.irfanview.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but this list from snapfiles which has short write ups & user ratings will probably be more help for anyone looking for screen capture freeware.
- http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwscreen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards
wasbit