Foxit Reader for Firefox 4

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Foxit Reader for Firefox 4

Post by Gloria E »

I did a plugins check and it showed that the Foxit Reader Plug-in for Firefox is an unknown plugin. I did some research and it seems that there's a problem with the latest version. Users report that it does not work with the new Firefox version.

Has anyone any new information on a fix. Or if I should use an older version of the plug-in?

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Foxit Reader for Firefox 4

Post by HansV »

I have Firefox 4 and the Foxit plugin, and I have no problem viewing PDF files in the browser:
x565.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

If you have the time will you please post a link, also what is the latest version? I've been Googling for over an hour with no success.

From what I could determine the latest version is version 4.3.1.0218.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's the version of Foxit Reader I have too:
x566.png
And I have version 2.0.0.1102 of the Foxit Reader Plugin for Mozilla:
x567.png
Both have been installed for a while; I updated through the built-in update option of Foxit Reader (Help > Check for Updates Now...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

The blue 'more' link isn't working, so I've not been able to use it to get the Mozilla plug-in.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

To get the Mozilla plugin, you can do either of the following:

1) Start Foxit Reader.
Select Help | Check for Updates Now...
Wait until the list of available updates appears.
See if the Firefox (or Mozilla) plugin is listed.
If so, select it and click Add, then click Install.

or

2) Go to Downloads - Latest Version and download "Firefox Plugin 2.0.2010.1102(fzip)(for Reader 4.3)" (under Critical Add-ons in Foxit Reader) to your hard disk.
Then start Foxit Reader.
Select Help | Install Updates...
Locate the downloaded fzip file.
Click Open.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Both methods ended with Failed to install message. The problem is probably because I don't have winzip or any other unzip program. Is there a way to get the Reader installed using .exe (application file)?

If not I just won't use Firefox to read .pdf files.

Thanks for you patience.

Duchess E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria E wrote:Is there a way to get the Reader installed using .exe (application file)?
I'm confused now, I thought you already had Foxit Reader?
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:
Gloria E wrote:Is there a way to get the Reader installed using .exe (application file)?
I'm confused now, I thought you already had Foxit Reader?
I do, but it's for IE, I think I wrote that I saw when I did a Check Your Plugins, it said the Foxit Reader Plugin for Mozilla was an unknown plugin. That information started this whole thread, I've checked Add-ons Manager and the plug-in was listed but the verion was 2.0.0.1102. I disabled it but after all the attempts to get the latest version it's disappeared from Check Your Plugins.

I've come to the conclusion that only using IE 8 for reading .pdf files is the easiest way to go. I've spend more that 6 hours trying to get this fixed, it's just not worth it.

Gloria E