Revo Uninstaller 1.9

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Revo Uninstaller 1.9

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I have been using Revo Uninstaller 1.75 quite happily.
Tonight, wondering whether one could uninstall a set of programs I d/l the latest version 1.9, and to my untrained eye 1.9 seemed to harvest only 50% of the programs that 1.75 found.

I noticed this because my new Win7 installation has many instances of "Wild Tangent" which I took to be a game. Those instances were not present in Revo 1.9.
1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Revo Uninstaller 1.9

Post by viking33 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I have been using Revo Uninstaller 1.75 quite happily.
Tonight, wondering whether one could uninstall a set of programs I d/l the latest version 1.9, and to my untrained eye 1.9 seemed to harvest only 50% of the programs that 1.75 found.

I noticed this because my new Win7 installation has many instances of "Wild Tangent" which I took to be a game. Those instances were not present in Revo 1.9.
1.png
Chris,
i have mo idea what "Wild Tangent" is but have you tried to uninstall one or all of those instances?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

According to the Wikipedia entry for WildTangent, "WildTangent is a game network, privately held in the United States that powers game services for several PC manufacturers including HP, Dell, Toshiba, Gateway and Lenovo".
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:I have no idea what "Wild Tangent" is but have you tried to uninstall one or all of those instances?
Not yet. I figured it was a game of some sorts, and figured to delete it after I have finished customizing Win7 and after system backups etc..
But RevoUninstaller (1.75) popped up and suggested I installed the latest (1.9) so I did install it; that's when I noticed a dearth of applications compared to the 1.75 screen.
At that stage I uninstalled 1.9 and reinstalled 1.75.

Now it is possible that I did something weird when running 1.9, but I didn't think so, and I'm still transcribing jobs that ran under WinXP but won't run under Win7.
I might revisit RevoUninstaller 1.9 in a day or two after things have settled down.

I posted this thread because
(a) I couldn't see any topic on 1.9 and
(b) I hoped to trigger recognition in any one else who thought 1.9 "missed" some programs.

(I ought to preface such posts with "FYI", I know)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:... "WildTangent is a game network,
Thanks, Hans; definitely a candidate for removal :grinch:.
I figured it as a game just by a glance at the icons.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I have used Win 7 for over a year now and have no instance of Wild Tangent on mine--I just opened Revo to verify (1.9) and it found 47 programs, which I definitely need to prune.....
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

NotQuite
3StarLounger

Post by NotQuite »

I think that Wild Tangent games are installed by some manufactures only. I have an Acer tower and a Sony laptop, both new running Win7 64 bit factory installations. Only the Acer came with several Wild Tangent games.
Regards: NotQuite

Not So Damp in Lotus Land

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hey Jude wrote:I have used Win 7 for over a year now and have no instance of Wild Tangent on mine--I just opened Revo to verify (1.9) and it found 47 programs, which I definitely need to prune.....
Right, but it wasn't an issue of "Revo creating Wild tangent", it was a case of "Revo 1.75 saw five related programs and Revo 1.9 saw none"
As NotQuite says, the specific programs are probably due to the OEM.

To have a chance of seeing what I saw you'd need to compare the Revo 1.75 screen with the Revo 1.9 screen before doing any removes.
If i remember I'll do a before/after screen shot in a couple of days when I get around to removing "useless" applications from this system.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

This is Toshiba, but I also ran PC Decrapifier
which got rid of pre-installed crapware before I ever started adding programs I wanted :clapping:

I did find Browser Plus by Yahoo which came with Yahoo Messenger which I just uninstalled using Revo--over 500 files~!!~

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Right, but it wasn't an issue of "Revo creating Wild tangent", it was a case of "Revo 1.75 saw five related programs and Revo 1.9 saw none"
As NotQuite says, the specific programs are probably due to the OEM.

To have a chance of seeing what I saw you'd need to compare the Revo 1.75 screen with the Revo 1.9 screen before doing any removes.
If i remember I'll do a before/after screen shot in a couple of days when I get around to removing "useless" applications from this system.
I'm going to see if I still have the d/l for 1.75 to check the differences as you suggested :scratch:

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hey Jude wrote:I'm going to see if I still have the d/l for 1.75 to check the differences as you suggested :scratch:
Yuck. One of the problems with software that "reminds" us about updates is that if you let it do so, you then (usually) DO NOT have a copy on your drive in case you need to re-install. I try to avoid the problem, but sometimes I forget.

It seems I forgot! I have 1.89 installed and in my software storage directory I have 1.83 and 1.85 - but NO 1.89. Sheesh, getting old and having CRS is terrible.

PS The reason I was looking is in case YOU needed a copy of 1.75 but obviously I can't help.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I have been using Revo Uninstaller 1.75 quite happily.
FYI:
This morning I used Revo 1.75 to uninstall Office 2000.
Ran the 4-level doo-dad, waited, deleted all listed registry keys and files.
Rebooted.
I Installed Office 2002 and went to inspect the path and found that elements of the Office 2000 folder structure were intact.
This is the first time that I've been aware of Revo's leaving detritus around, all the more puzzling since these folders are within the sub-tree from which Office 2000 was discovered and uninstalled!
(My naming conventions include the version of Office - e.g. "Office09" - as a sub-folder)

P.S. I still have a copy of Revo 1.75 around for anyone who wants it. 10/31/2008 2:41 AM 1,601KB
1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Bigaldoc wrote:...having CRS is terrible.
You ain't kidding! I can't even remember what 'CRS' stands for!!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

I don't have Win 7 but Revo 1.9 doesn't report as much as the older version which caused me to have an issue uninstalling something that lacked an uninstaller and I'm still trying to figure out how to get rid of it because, well, I like to completely uninstall something, not just remove the icon. I just opened mine to see an ad for the "professional version" so maybe since I'm using the free version I don't have everything I need.

As to Wild Tangent - years ago I had an issue with Garbette and rpg games. I'd uninstall Wild Tangent only to see it back a few weeks later. Then after a particularly nasty mom-kid argument we realized it was the rpg games. So although dangerous and potentially harmful, 'tis better to leave it alone lest ye wish to continue yer argument with the teenager, arrgghh.... :pirate:
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PaulB wrote: I can't even remember what 'CRS' stands for!!
Can't Remember Something?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

garbsmj wrote:I don't have Win 7 but Revo 1.9 doesn't report as much as the older version...
Garbsmj, thanks for this confirmation. I had a brief moment of near-enlightenment this morning running 1.75 when a pop-up screen from some other application briefly blanked out part of the Revo panel; I wondered whether my earlier view (which prompted this thread) was the result of a non-refreshed screen, but you seem sure that Revo 1.9 doesn't report as many applications as did Revo 1.75.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I found 1.75 along with later versions of Revo as well. I d/l and am going to run it to see what it discovers :cheers: Thanks BigAl for taking the time to look for it :clapping: I'll post back as soon as I run it.
OldApps

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I just installed to a different folder and ran 1.75 as well as 1.9 and both turned up 46 applications...so on mine they are equal :-)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hey Jude wrote:I just installed to a different folder and ran 1.75 as well as 1.9 and both turned up 46 applications...so on mine they are equal :-)
Hmmmm.
HeyJude, thanks for this.
Maybe it's my brain that is (still) faulty.
Sometime in the next seven days when things settle down I'll reinstall 1.9 and check to see if my original experience holds.

Sometimes I get too focused on a task, and when irregularities pop up I don't divert my attention to documenting the event; then, of course, I end up in a situation like this.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I hate to add grist for the mill since I no longer have 1.75 but I installed 1.9 and it DOES report the exact same number of apps installed as the previous 1.89, including itself. I use the detailed view and sort by date of installation because I'm often trying to backtrack on what got installed on certain dates.

My XP MCE installation is as old as this machine (4-5 years?) and in the lower left corner, Revo reports 280 apps installed.