Snipping Tool

BobH
UraniumLounger

Snipping Tool

Post by BobH »

After deliberating for a nanosecond or 2, I decided that this belongs under other applications, although it might well should have been put under Windows 10/11. I'll leave it to the Admins to decide if (when? :hairout:) I'm wrong. :smile:

Although memory is not an octogenarian's best asset, I recall having successfully captured drop down menus/windows using Snipping Tool. IIRC, I first launched the snipping tool then pressed escape then initiated the drop down window and was given the grayed screen and thus the ability to select the outline of my choice and snip the image which I then saved. I confirmed this method by searching. I also found information saying that the delay feature added to Snipping Tool in Win 10 could be used to delay snipping by a number of seconds then invoking the drop down window then taking the ss.

Neither of these methods is working for me today. I'm running a currently updated copy of WIn 10 Home V.22H2 and Firefox 114.0.2.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong (other than advanced age, please)?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:

ps:
I should add that the window I'm trying to capture is a Weather Pro screen invoked from a shortcut. I should also add that when I follow the routing first described above, I can frame and capture a screenshot but not the drop down window.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Snipping Tool

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
23 Jun 2023, 20:46
... I can frame and capture a screenshot but not the drop down window.
Out of interest, can you capture the drop-down window when you use the PrtScr key (and paste into MSPaint)?
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Let's see if this worked.
Weather Pro 2023-06-23_16h08_50.png
Well, there it is!

Thanks, Chris!

I used just PrtScn and framed the image which then popped up in Screenpresso where I was able to save it. Of course, I had to use FastStoneViewer to resize it to meet Eileen's size limts; but there it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Also a thanks from me, Chris. :cheers:
And Bob, looks like you are having a cold spell in your part of Texas :laugh:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

BobH wrote:
23 Jun 2023, 20:46
.... I recall having successfully captured drop down menus/windows using Snipping Tool. IIRC, I first launched the snipping tool then pressed escape then initiated the drop down window and was given the grayed screen...... these methods is working for me today.
Hi Bob
We spoke about this problem a while back.

You had the problem, I didn’t, … I also didn’t know back then about that neat way to catch pop ups and drop down. After learning about it in that thread I use it almost every time I use Snipping tool on my windows 10 machines.

Later I did catch the same problem. I solved it in a not too neat way by hitting the escape key a lot and erratically connecting and disconnecting the keyboard.
That seems to somehow flush out the problem, as well as straightening out some other things that stopped working properly on the keyboard after an update.. **

Alan

( P.S: By the way, Bob, not a lot of people know this: If you are using Snipping Tool in windows 10, then after you have done the snip and are in the window where you save it from, have a look to see if you see an extra paint icon
https://i.postimg.cc/1XsXQC83/Extra-Pai ... dows10.jpg
Click it and you might be impressed by a nice seamless way to pass your snip into paint.

I think Microsoft were keen a while back to get rid of Snipping Tool, and that is why some fiddling around in updates and things sometimes messed it up. There was also a nice article on this new paint icon feature. That has been removed as well, but if you are quick you can still catch this archived version.
https://i.postimg.cc/xjp7zkP6/Extra-Pai ... rtical.jpg
https://web.archive.org/web/20230306194 ... -paint-3d/

Code: Select all

https://web.archive.org/web/20230306194633/https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-seamlessly-pass-an-image-from-the-windows-10-snipping-tool-to-paint-3d/
_.__________________

**Edit: I just checked a Home version of windows 10 and once again this nice way to catch pop ups and drop down has stopped working again, on that Home version machine. (On all my windows 10 pro machines it is still working.) So looks like something has messed it up again. I will post back if I ever get it fixed again.
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
23 Jun 2023, 21:17
Let's see if this worked.
Well, we (that is, the rest of us) won't know whether it worked or not! :evilgrin:
I suspect that you just wanted to brag about 96F in those artificially inflated figures.
Is that the drop-down box on the LHS?
I suggested the simple PrtScr method solely to determine if, indeed, the drop-down was capturable (and I think that that's the first time in my life that I've used "capturable" in print).
I gather that it is.
So now you will be wanting to make it work in Snipping which is, I suspect, your favorite method of screen-image capture.
There is, as you can see, so much that I don't know.
Cheers, "Heatwave" of Bonavista.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Those are wild fluctuations, Chris! 28⁰C today (the same as in Reims, France where I am today) to 11⁰C on Monday!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
24 Jun 2023, 10:04
Those are wild fluctuations, Chris! 28⁰C today (the same as in Reims, France where I am today) to 11⁰C on Monday!
Wild is the word, Hans. :grin:
Tuesday we had an overnight frost advisory and Wednesday reached 19.7c
I turned off my heaters two days ago; burned but 3KwH over the past 24 hours!
Cheers, Chris