Lots of Special Characters

Sundog
5StarLounger

Lots of Special Characters

Post by Sundog »

From time to time, I write up procedures for novice users. Often I am frustrated by not being able to insert a symbol that appears on a Windows menu or toolbar. I have prepared a 49-page Excel spreadsheet (attached) that lists every symbol corresponding to every key on the keyboard and ASCII codes 33 through 255, for these fonts: Symbol, Webdings, Wingdings, Wingdings 2, Wingdings 3, Bookshelf Symbol 7, Carta, Marlett, MS Outlook, MS Reference Sans Serif, MT Extra, and Zapf Dingbats. I also explore the additional Unicode symbols available in the Symbol and MS Reference Sans Serif fonts.

That sometimes helps, but I'm still left unable to find some symbols. The latest: The interlocking overlaid right angles Crop symbol on the Picture toolbar (Word 2003 SP3). Any help that doesn't include cropping a screenshot would be appreciated.

Let me know if you find the spreadsheet useful; and/or suggestions for improvement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Re: Lots of Special Characters

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Wow! That must have been a lot of work, thanks!

(I haven't seen the "crop" symbol as a character either)
Best wishes,
Hans

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

right angles Crop symbol on the Picture toolbar
This one?
Crop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

Sundog wrote: Let me know if you find the spreadsheet useful; and/or suggestions for improvement.
This is interesting and useful, but one limitation I have discovered is that it depends on whether the user has the font concerned on their system. So for instance I noticed that on my computer the contents of the columns for Wingdings and for ZapfDingbats look identical. But that is because I have the Wingdings font but not the ZapfDingbats font, so Windows is displaying what it thinks is the most similar font I do have.

Ian

Sundog
5StarLounger

Re: Lots of Special Characters - How About Taskbar Icons?

Post by Sundog »

John/jon: Well, sorta. The button symbol has a 3D-ish appearance, with the front crop mark "over" the back crop mark.

Ian: Valid point; I will add a note to that effect on the spreadsheet.

On this general subject: How about the Taskbar icons? Anyone have a source for them or know where they live on my system?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Which taskbar icons do you mean? In Windows, or in a specific application?
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

In Windows, for starters. See attached. (How's that, John? :thumbup: [John Gray, Re: NW Newbie's Proposed Network])

Context: Help docs for Newbies. E.g., click on the funny little icon at the bottom of your screen [that looks sorta like an upside-down double teardrop] vs. [that looks like <icon picture>].
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Those are application icons. Since there are thousands and thousands of software applications for Windows, it's not feasible to list them all with their icons...
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

I understand, but for the ones that display on MY taskbar, they must live somewhere on MY computer, no? Where?
Sundog

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Usually the icon for a piece of software lies in its EXE file or possibly one of the DLL files for that application.

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

How about "Safety remove hardware" and the like?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Those live in one of the DLLs that belong to Windows.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

OK, icons often live in EXEs or DLLs. My computer has 21,052 DLLs.

Using http://www.iconfinder.net and searching on Crop, I found the attached. there are several thousand searchable icons there. But at least some of the icon sets available there are not free (even tho they already live somewhere on my computer).

I found http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iconsext.html, which was very fast at displaying all icons in system32.dll. I may turn it loose (overnight?) on my other 21,051 DLLs?
Sundog

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Sundog wrote:I found http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iconsext.html, which was very fast at displaying all icons in system32.dll. I may turn it loose (overnight?) on my other 21,051 DLLs?
Oops, I'm too slow and probably behind the times. I found Icon Snatcher | PCWorld but it seems pretty old. Yours may be better but if it doesn't do what you want, you could try this one to see what it does.

(I think I have something installed from the guy you found (NirSoft) but I don't remember what it is.)