CCleaner

BobH
UraniumLounger

CCleaner

Post by BobH »

Recently I have returned to CCleaner to clean up temporary files. I run it every few days and find files and delete them, but there is one file that is never deleted. I don't understand why. It is a relatively small file, only 5k, and is associated with Internet Explorer which I do not run. It is a temporary file, or so it says. It really is unimportant except that I'm curious about why it's there and why it doesn't delete. I've included a ss below.

Can anyone tell me what this file is, why it appears even though I don't run IE, and why CCleaner doesn't remove it?
ccleaner.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: CCleaner

Post by HansV »

It is probably created again immediately by Windows (Internet Explorer is still integrated into Windows in some ways).
I wouldn't worry about it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

(Yes, it's pretty small, but not that small, 5 MB.)

IE is integrated with OS, sort of, so even if you and I don't use it some actions can trigger the creation of cache files. For example, my email client can use IE for rendering HTML mails (as soon as I change view from txt to html a temp file is created). Could be other things related to Office or the OS as well.

(I have also noticed at times that it can take a few seconds extra to clean those files, together with the usual Fx cache etc. (I only use some of the settings in CCleaner.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Some files will only really be deleted after a restart of Windows.
But that also immediately creates new temporary files again...
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Argus: you think that you've got problems, but I find DumpStack.log.tmp which won't delete on the same disk as my page file, and it's all of 8 kB!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I'm not the OP, John; I've got no problems.

Yes, I noticed you mentioned it, Hans. :smile:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.