HP Printer stopped working

RonH
SilverLounger

HP Printer stopped working

Post by RonH »

Just for information.

Following recent W10 updates, HP printer lost connection to my Lenovo laptop. WiFi however was still connected and my lady's laptop (similar Lenovo) remained operating correctly.

After numerous attempts to delete/update my laptop driver (repeated message that no driver was available etc) and using the Windows Troubleshooter, my printer connection finally showed OK but in an 'Idle' condition and still would not print. Printer then showed 'Error' when a print was tested.

HP have a 'doctor' repair software called 'HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows'. After downloading and following simple instruction a repair was effected. Worked for me ... might help others.

(I was very close to the solution of 'open window and throw out printer into deep snow :evilgrin: ')
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: HP Printer stopped working

Post by HansV »

Interesting - my HP printer/scanner showed as offline recently. I eventually got it to work again with a lot of fiddling; I don't know exactly what was the decisive step.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Are all printers this annoying?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Most printers work OK, but I find it very annoying that they want you to get new cartridges for all colors when only one runs out...
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Agreed, until they don't work :grin:

I must add that they are amazing machines to be able to select inks and print so quickly.
(Snowing very heavy here today so time to play 'computing')
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

RonH wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 09:50
Are all printers this annoying?
I did general IT support for a Lab from 1994 until I retired in 2019 and have to say that in the 90's printers were hellish, either wouldn't connect or connected and kept forgetting their paper size. And don't get me started on invisible paper jams!! When Microsoft implemented plug and play things got a bit better, but generally I've found recent printers to be a joy (except when they aren't...)

Technical note: this experience also applied to my various Linux distributions over the years, from those early attempts to compile the correct drivers to the smooth experience it usually is today.

Edited to add:
https://www.theregister.com/2021/03/11/ ... indows_10/
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube