DELL monitor

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

DELL monitor

Post by Dave Davison »

I have had a Dell monitor for quite some time but because I always tend to use head phones so as not to bother others in the room, have never got round to needing the inbuilt speakers but because of being on the wrong side of 80 and advised to remain self isolated, my family have deemed it prudent to set me up with a Skype account. This means I need to resort to the inbuilt speakers so my wife can participate in the conversation but the only sockets on the back of the monitor are :- The usual one for power; two USB's, one jack type for Audio OUT and the other for the multi pronged plug with the two thumb retaining screws. Unfortunately I can't put my hand on the instruction booklet that came with the item and to complicate things even more, there is no model name or number shown on the back. I don't recall there being a cable in the box with a plug on one end suitable for the USB input! sockets and a jack plug on the other end to plug into the back of the tower so if anyone can enlighten me as to how to get sound from the monitor speakers I sure would appreciate it. :scratch: :thankyou: Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Re: DELL monitor

Post by HansV »

If you click Start > Devices and Printers, does the control panel list the monitor type?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Many thanks Hans, yes doing what you suggested shows the model of the monitor; can I use that info to look for the appropriate user instruction details? Than you lots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Dell SE2417HG monitor does not have built-in speakers: "There are no built-in speakers for essential audio appreciation, but there is a 3.5mm pass-through jack for speakers or headphones."
You'll have to connect speakers to the audio out connector on the back of your computer.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thank you very much for that info, I am expecting Skype call from my son but will plug my headset into the line OUT socket and that should answer my query. I find it a bit strange that a modern monitor would be designed without built in speakers, seems a backward step in my humble opinion. Many thanks and say safe. Dave.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Barging in here uninvited . . .

Dave, you didn't mention sound input, ie a microphone. That will certainly be a requirement for you and your bride to enjoy Skype calls.

Do you have a desktop microphone? Have you located the jack on the tower case for it?

Justin Case, world renowned detective . . :fanfare: :fanfare: :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Well Bob........that is a conundrum for me as I do not have a desktop microphone but have just talked to my son via Skype so all I can think is the Logitech camera must have one built in!!!!!! Yep, my bride of 60 years is also over 80 but hard of hearing and finds the earphones difficult to tolerate hence the need for external speakers. . ..... Cheers Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, the Logitech C160 webcam has a built-in microphone.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

By sheer chance an unforeseen bonus, eliminates yet another cable cluttering the back of the desk, was not aware of that feature when I bought to camera but sure pleased it is there. Thanks again for the invaluable feed back, I thank the Lord every time I am enlightened by caring guys on this forum. BIG THANKS

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave,
I have to butt in here just to comment, not solve a problem but I just recently upgraded to a Dell wide screen monitor. Works like a champ and it has no built in speakers.
My comment is: ypu aren't missing anything if you did have built ins. IMHO they aren't worth the powder to blow them up with. Really JUNK! I've been using external speakers with a separate sub-woofer for decent bass sound. The internals are usually so small that you could sub for them using a tin can.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Found a pair of speakers in my loft, plugged the power cable in to the back of the monitor via the through adapter which also powers the monitor and the jack plug into the "Audio out" socket but no sound to the speakers so plugged in my earphones in to the same "Audio Out" socket but still no sound. Next, I left the speakers' power cable attached to the monitor and plugged the speaker jack plug into the green socket on the back of the tower and got audio on both speakers. Conclusion; the "Audio out" socket on the monitor must be duff. [matter resolved] Another issue that I would like clarifying concerns the green audio sockets on the tower, if I have the said speakers plugged in to the read audio out socket and (ie). plug the earphones in to the frot audio out socket it renders the rear socket mute. Is that the way the system is designed? :scratch: :thankyou: Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, plugging in earphones usually mutes the speakers. It is assumed that you don't want to bother others if you listen through earphones.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

....makes sense thanks.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You will only get audio out from the monitor if it is receiving audio. Typically this would be via an HDMI connection. How is your monitor connected to the PC? What type of cable/connector?
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

There are only two cables plugged into the monitor one for power and the other is the [VGA] which explains why there is no signal from the "Audio out" socket but it's a none issue now as I can get sound from both the external speakers and headphones (one at a time as the need demands.) If I had not mislaid the user manual I would have known the monitor had no inbuilt speakers also that earphones cannot be plugged into the "Audio out" socket and would not have needed to raise the issue in the first place. Thanks for all the responses anyway I greatly appreciate the platform. :cheers: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If you connected that monitor to the computer via one of the HDM ports then the audio out port would probably work
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Stuart answered the question I was about to ask. I was also wondering if the video wouldn't be improved. Of course, I know nothing about the video. If it is high resolution LED my guess is that the picture would improve.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH
LED your conscience be your guide? :laugh:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

:rofl:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

Dave Davison wrote:... If I had not mislaid the user manual I would have known the monitor had no inbuilt speakers also that earphones cannot be plugged into the "Audio out" socket and would not have needed to raise the issue in the first place....
Most manuals of this sort can be downloaded from on-line, these days.
—Nick

I’m only an egg (but hard-boiled)