CCleaner - unwanted reminders!

aekyall
4StarLounger

CCleaner - unwanted reminders!

Post by aekyall »

Recently, and I think just once a day, a reminder pops up in the bottom right corner of my desktop telling me there's a CCleaner update available and to 'click here to download' - I get my updates by going directly to Piriform's website and not allowing FileHippo to get involved - which seems to happen if I'm offered an update when I open CCleaner to use it and, without thinking, I say yes. On the odd occasion, however,I have, sleepily, ended up on Hippo's website by engaging finger before brain! I'm wondering if, perhaps, I've 'won' this unwanted 'add on' from FileHippo on an unintended visit?

Anyway, bottom line - and reason for this post - Is there any way I can get rid of this irritating pop up? I can't see anything in CCleaner's options (advanced or otherwise) that might be the culprit. I do have the 'automatically check for updates' option ticked as I need to know when there is an actual update available. I'm obviously loathed to actually click on the update button in case all is not as it seems!!
Capture.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Re: CCleaner - unwanted reminders!

Post by HansV »

CCleaner's own reminder takes you to the Piriform website, not to FileHippo, as far as I know, so I suspect that you have inadvertently installed some kind of "service" from FileHippo. Have you checked the Programs and Features control panel? And can you see some kind of related service in Task Manager?
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks Hans -
I've checked Programs and Features - Nothing other than the CCleaner prog itself. Also, cannot see anything in TM Processes that would fit the bill. I think that the next time the pop up 'pops up' I'll take the plunge and see where it leads to!

Re Piriform: For some reason, If I click on the CCleaner program's offer of an update, although it does go to the Piriform website, when I choose to download the free version I get automatically redirected to FileHippo and the download starts from there! At least, that was what was happening a while back, and the reason I access Piriform's website direct from my browser for the update, rather than through the CCleaner program.

I'll let you know where the pop up leads, next time it 'pops up'

Regards,
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Recent versions of CCleaner have a monitoring feature, which is enabled by default. If it is enabled, a CCleaner service will be running all the time; it might also trigger the update message even if the CCleaner application is not open.
You can set your preference for the monitoring option in Options > Monitoring:
S0196.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks Hans - I had unchecked 'enable system monitoring' previously. However, having looked again, I noticed that I hadn't unchecked the 'enable active monitoring' box at the bottom. I've done so now and will wait and see if that resolves the issue. I'll post back.
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Just to tidy the thread up: Since unchecking the 'enable active monitoring' box I haven't seen the 'update' pop up, so that would seem to have resolved the problem. Many thanks,
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the feedback!
Best wishes,
Hans