pdf java help please

maverick8888
StarLounger

pdf java help please

Post by maverick8888 »

Hello all. First of all' didn't know where to post this. Apologies in advance. I am new to the world of programming with a touch of access database creation, which am not even sure if that is even programming. Here's the issue. I jumped head first into a project without knowing what ingot myself into. I am looking to create the following ;

There is a schematic that is in a PDF file type
I have adobe standard 10
Looking to be able to click on a component and have a pop up of the data sheet of the part that is clicked on.
( I know a bookmark would work there but looking for something more in depth. )
When the part is clicked on, then a popup menu would give options.
( got this part)
Options would include data sheet or purchasing
When an option is selected, it would then pop up a smaller window showing information selected.
*** the pdf'd data sheet can be either inside the same PDF, if easier or a PDF in the same folder.

It has been difficult with Google as I am new to this and don't know how to ask so I came here as the answers have always come. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: pdf java help please

Post by Rudi »

Gosh... I was not even aware that one could automate in Adobe. (Obviously this is exclusive to Adobe Pro and NOT the reader).
I'm not sure if you are aware of the fact and if the link above might help you or point you in the right direction. Personally I cannot assist much more as I have no experience with actions in Adobe.

Not sure if it would suit your needs but if you do not come right with the automation to plan in Adobe, you could consider using opening the PDF in Word and using Word macros to control the automation (IF that is possible!)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

maverick8888
StarLounger

Post by maverick8888 »

Thanks for the reply. The thing is that using the bookmark idea loses some sex appeal from the vision I have. The way I way that I want it is the following;
One could look at the schematic and click on one component
From a popup menu, one could select to look at specs or the vendor it came from.
The selected information would come as a popup window
If there is further information needed, then you can move the mouse over off the window and repeat with a different component if needed.
Keeping it available in reader makes it easily accessible
Bookmarking would work to some extent but I like to aim for what I want.
Sky is the limit, just need someone to help me to start to build the spaceship.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have moved this thread from the Office General forum to the Other Applications forum, since Adobe Acrobat is not part of Microsoft Office.
Best wishes,
Hans

maverick8888
StarLounger

Post by maverick8888 »

Is this that difficult or am I not giving enough information?

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

IMHO:
The first issue due to lack of responses is that few loungers here are up to speed with "actions" or automation in PDF/Java.
Secondly, the functionality that you seek is obviously not available as default tools or options in the application you are using. This means that it would need to be created via programming. Based on the requirements you list, it would involve some intricate coding in PDF/Java (in which few of us have much exposure within the mentioned application).

As for me...this one is outside of my field of knowledge. :sorry:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You may be better of searching for a forum that specializes in PDF programming.
Best wishes,
Hans