File Recovery Software

BobH
UraniumLounger

File Recovery Software

Post by BobH »

My BIL sent me a hard drive that he said he erased thinking that he had erased another one. I mounted the HDD and looked at Properties and it shows the entire file is available. He tells me that he did not reformat it, only selected the entire drive and clicked Delete. I won't repeat what he told me he said immediately afterward. He lives in Florida and I've been told that Rudi heard it. :evilgrin:

Are there any tools that one might use to try to recover the data? I've never done this before, but I seem to recall reading that a Delete command wipes out the FAT/NTFS entries. I think these are kept in the MBR. I have exhausted my knowledge and revealed my ignorance and misunderstandings in those 2 sentences.

If anyone can help, please . . .

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: File Recovery Software

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,

Is is generally agreed that Recuva is one of the better recovery apps about. (Use the Piriform link!)
I'd recommend downloading the freeware version and giving that a try.

Additional software to consider... http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... re-1141256
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Recuva is all you need but DON'T install it on the drive you are trying to recover stuff from.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Gentlemen!

I bought the Piriform Recuva Pro and installed it on my C: drive in the x86 programs folder. I then ran it on the drive from BIL. I first made the image of the drive as suggested by the software. I recovered a few hundred files, but I don't know if they are the ones he wants back. I will speak with him later this week and let him know what Recuva found.

Is there a good tutorial on using Recuva around somewhere? I think I need to learn a bit more in order to be less dangerous.

Thanks again!

Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Thanks, Gentlemen!

I bought the Piriform Recuva Pro and installed it on my C: drive in the x86 programs folder. I then ran it on the drive from BIL. I first made the image of the drive as suggested by the software. I recovered a few hundred files, but I don't know if they are the ones he wants back. I will speak with him later this week and let him know what Recuva found.

Is there a good tutorial on using Recuva around somewhere? I think I need to learn a bit more in order to be less dangerous.

Thanks again!

Take a look at this one, Bob.
http://windows.appstorm.net/reviews/rec ... th-recuva/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

And yet another one. Happy reading :evilgrin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.