Free Issue-Tracking software that’s easy for seniors

Sundog
5StarLounger

Free Issue-Tracking software that’s easy for seniors

Post by Sundog »

We are a small nonprofit (10 to 20 people on our committee, mostly elderly or retired) that hosts an annual Jazz Festival. After the Festival, many committee members have suggestions about how to improve next year’s version. But over time they are forgotten, until they reoccur at the next Festival.

I’ve volunteered to track these Big Ideas, and want to find a free, easy-to-use (by other, semi-computer-illiterate committee members), issue-tracking software.

It needs to allow numerous tags or labels for each issue, like:
o Category: Enhancement | New Feature | Problem
o Timeframe: Before Festival | During Festival | After Festival
o Disposition: We're On It | Can't Do It | Tell Us More
o Assignment: Membership Committee | Sound & Light Committee | etc.

It needs to allow issues sorted by label to aid in prioritization, assignment, and tracking.

What it does not need: man-hours, dollars, Gantt charting, all the other stuff in MS Project that our senior citizens wouldn't use.

All suggestions welcome.
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Re: Free Issue-Tracking software that’s easy for seniors

Post by HansV »

Do you want the software to run locally on a PC or laptop, or should it be accessible over internet?
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Internet access would be needed.
Sundog

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Not issue tracking software but an alternative idea...

Could your committee cope with contributing to a forum like The Lounge? If so consider http://www.freeforums.org/ where at no cost and with minimal pain you can set up and administer a forum just like Eileen's, it uses the same phpBB software.

Ken

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Very interesting idea! Let me think about that for a bit. I'll talk to our Webmaster to see about integrating/linking a forum to our website. Might be a way to capture anonymous ideas, as well as signed ones.

(And as our committee grows, we could look forward to accommodating at least 1,343 members.)
Sundog

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, Sundog!

You might consider Simple Machine Forums (SMF) for your forum, as well. I've used it on a website I administer. It is free and there is a forum of people to provide support. I've not used phpBB (yet) but it too has a forum of users.

HTH
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Thanks for the additional possibility. I'm going to work with FreeForum first, but if I don't get something good, I'll try others.
Sundog

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I may be wrong but Bob's idea appears to assume that you/your webmaster will install and host the forum software on your own website. That may well be the way to go in the long run, especially if your existing website is 'hand-built'.

Meanwhile Freeforums.org is a service provider, where all you have to is set up the various sub-forums that make up the board index so you get to try out phpBB without having to first figure how to install it and set it up.

Ken