Update: CCleaner v4.19 released

HansV
Administrator

Update: CCleaner v4.19 released

Post by HansV »

Piriform has released version 4.19 of the popular CCleaner utility.

Changes:
  • Added Windows 10 Preview compatibility
  • Improved Opera 25 Cache cleaning
  • Improved exception handling and reporting architecture
  • Improved Auto-Update checking process
  • Updated various translations
  • Minor GUI Improvements
  • Minor bug fixes
Download from CCleaner - Builds.

The "lean" version that doesn't include an offer for unwanted bundled software usually doesn't appear until several days after the initial release.
Best wishes,
Hans

curious
3StarLounger

Re: Update: CCleaner v4.19 released

Post by curious »

Evening, Hans -

Does "lean' version mean 'portable' version? Thank you

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, the portable version (i.e. the version that doesn't need to be installed but can be run directly, for instance from a USB stick) is always available immediately, together with the version that needs to be installed.

But the Installer version often came with an offer to install extra software, which you usually don't want; including the extra software also increased the size of the installer.
After a few days, they used to add a version without the extra software, but I see now that they haven't done that for their other software (Defraggler, Recuva and Speccy), so perhaps they stopped offering a 'lean' version, or they don't include the extra software anymore.
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

I am considering trying this CCleaner and I notice on the website that it has provisions for cleaning IE but I could find no mention of Firefox which is my browser of choice.

1) Will it work with Firefox or only IE?
2) What is the actual practical benefit of CCleaner? Seems like I have heard advice against using the registry cleaner.... so, what does it actually do that makes it worth having?
Don

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Thank you, Hans.

I always choose "Custom" installation when downloading.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

dasadler wrote:1) Will it work with Firefox or only IE?
2) What is the actual practical benefit of CCleaner? Seems like I have heard advice against using the registry cleaner.... so, what does it actually do that makes it worth having?
1) CCleaner works with most browsers, including Firefox - see Features.

2) The main feature of CCleaner is a file cleaner: it can remove temporary files, browser history, browser cookies etc. Each of these can be performed manually, but since there are so many types of items to be cleaned, that would take a lot of time. CCleaner makes it a one-click operation. It is fully configurable; you can specify which applications it should handle, which cookies you want to keep, etc.
You can run CCleaner yourself, or let it warn you when there is a certain amount of 'cleaning' to do.
I find this component really useful. Some applications tend to slow down if the number of temporary files becomes very large, so it makes sense to remove them from time to time.

CCleaner also has a registry cleaner component, which you can run separately from the file cleaner. It is a very 'conservative' cleaner - it is safe to use, but it doesn't remove much (except perhaps the first time you run it). There is no pressing need to run it, since registry size is not a problem in Windows XP and later.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

What Hans said!

I've used it with Firefox for years. It does make a difference to have the dust and cat hair cleared away occasionally.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

dasadler wrote:I am considering trying this CCleaner
Been using it for years.
Excellent free app as are the other apps from Piriform.
You can't go wrong with it.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

So I installed CCleaner and the first scan removed 667 MB of files. Surprised me. Unfortunately, it also removed all my cookies. I was considering that because I was having a problem clearing my cache while working on a website and refreshing the screen to see changes I just made. I wasn't getting the result I expected and someone suggested clearing the cache. I subsequently realized that I was not seeing the change I expected because of poor coding. Oh well, now I have CCleaner and I think it is a good thing.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Don

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

As Hans said in a post above, the app is highly configurable and cookies can be disabled or if you keep it active you can set up exclusions.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can specify whether Firefox cookies are cleaned at all (1), and if so, you can specify which cookies to keep in Options > Cookies (2):
S0147.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans