OPening an LWP File

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

OPening an LWP File

Post by hlewton »

Searching the NET I saw that an LWP file is a Lotus Word Processor file. I even found a site that was supposed to allow me to download a file called Key View For Lotus but my anti-virus program stopped it from running. Any suggestions how or where I can get a safe download to open this *.LWP file?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: OPening an LWP File

Post by HansV »

Did you try to download Lotus KeyView from IBM (the current owner of Lotus) itself, or from one of the many download sites? The latter usually try to get you to install unwanted extras.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Did you try to download Lotus KeyView from IBM (the current owner of Lotus) itself, or from one of the many download sites? The latter usually try to get you to install unwanted extras.
I don't believe the site I tried was an IBM site. I was here http://keyview-for-lotus.software.informer.com/. This site comes up continually when looking for this file.

A quick search of IBM's site just now did not get me to any place I could download the program. The only link that even looked promising apparently is no longer active. I get a "no such file or directory" dialog box. But I'll keep searching their site.

After searching the WEB more I saw where LibreOffice may open this file and I had it installed on an old XP machine. Using that I was able to open the file but the Lotus Key View would still be a nice program to have but when my anti-virus pops up warning me I don't take any chances.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

My Googling turned up a link to a FTP site on lotus.com. I'd suggest that's as close to the original source as you are likely to get so if your AV objects to the files there I don't know what else to suggest. Start by reading the readme.txt here:
ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/countr ... a/Viewers/

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't trust Software.Informer.com.
The official download site, as far as I can tell, is ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Download Kvlotus.exe to your computer. This is the installer.
Right-click it and run it as administrator.
You'll probably have to run KeyView under Windows XP compatibility mode:
- Right-click the program file or a shortcut to it.
- Select Properties from the context menu.
- Activate the Compatibility tab.
- Tick the check box 'Run this program in compatibility mode for'.
- Select Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the list of Windows versions.
- Click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you both for that information. Not sure what I do wrong when using google but I never got either of those sites. I will download it to an XP machine and go from there if I can.

BTW I did keep trying at IBM's site and no matter from which direction I tried I still got that error dialog box mentioned above.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

That worked perfectly on the XP machine. Not sure I'll use it on the Win 7 ones.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK I have to, for my own curiosity, ask a question or two but first let me say this.

Stuck I had found that same link in my search but stopped when I read the following quote:
To install KeyView for Lotus from your SmartSuite CD, please follow the steps
listed below:

1. Insert the SmartSuite CD in the appropriate drive.
Even now after looking at it again and the Readme file’s parent folder I would not have been able to figure it out what to do but I am sure that is because my lack of understanding. Still I don’t recognize anything there telling me how or what file to install.

Hans after your explanations, as I said, it worked great but I’m not sure no matter what I searched for I’d ever have come up with that information. So my questions are how did you find that? Did you do a search for KeyView For Lotus and did you find something telling you to download Kvlotus.exe? I do appreciate all the help I get here and I’d just like to know how you did it if it is just a matter of doing a specific search. There is absolutely no way without you telling me that I would have known to download Kvlotus unless my search for KeyView for Lotus had pointed me in that direction and it didn't. I'm just not sure why.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I searched Google for open lwp file. On the second page of the search results, I found this: How can I convert LWP files to a readable format without Lotus?. The reply by "garfield-n-odie" contained the link that I posted.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:I searched Google for open lwp file. On the second page of the search results, I found this: How can I convert LWP files to a readable format without Lotus?. The reply by "garfield-n-odie" contained the link that I posted.
Thank you. Apparently I was there just didn't go far enough - to the second page.
Regards,
hlewton

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

LibreOffice 4.3.1 claims to be able to open lwp files, but I don't have any to try..
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

jonwallace wrote:LibreOffice 4.3.1 claims to be able to open lwp files
If found that too, but also comments that the conversion leaves a lot to be desired...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

jonwallace wrote:LibreOffice 4.3.1 claims to be able to open lwp files, but I don't have any to try..
Yep I think I mentioned above that I did open it with LibreOffice and I found it to actually be better at converting the fonts than Lotus KeyView. At least it looked better and aligned to the margins better with LibreOffice.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

You could try using Universal Viewer; An advanced file viewer with a wide range of formats supported.
OR
Free File Viewer. Just be vigilant as the install file is packaged with a lot of crapware. Use the Custom install option and disable all additional packaged options as well as click "DECLINE" for all other offers.

Both the above claim to open many different file formats, but since I do not have access to a .LWP file type, I cannot test if it will open this?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

hlewton wrote:
jonwallace wrote:LibreOffice 4.3.1 claims to be able to open lwp files, but I don't have any to try..
Yep I think I mentioned above that I did open it with LibreOffice and I found it to actually be better at converting the fonts than Lotus KeyView. At least it looked better and aligned to the margins better with LibreOffice.
Whoops, so you did. Sorry :blush:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

jonwallace wrote:
hlewton wrote:
Whoops, so you did. Sorry :blush:
No problem cause I really wasn't even sure and had to go back and look. :laugh:
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:You could try using Universal Viewer; An advanced file viewer with a wide range of formats supported.
OR
Free File Viewer. Just be vigilant as the install file is packaged with a lot of crapware. Use the Custom install option and disable all additional packaged options as well as click "DECLINE" for all other offers.

Both the above claim to open many different file formats, but since I do not have access to a .LWP file type, I cannot test if it will open this?
Thanks and I will look into these programs but I may never need them again. I was doing this for my son and most of the correspondence he gets is in a more conventional format. I would post the file I have but it is his and used in his business so I really don't think it would be appropriate for me to do so.
Regards,
hlewton