ConvertXto DVD freezing

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

ConvertXto DVD freezing

Post by Dave Davison »

Yesterday I converted a video and burnt it to DVD using ConvertX but with just 5 seconds to finishing it froze and I was unable to eject the disc with either the "Eject" tab or by pressing the button next to the drive drawer. Comments please, Dave.

ps. I seem to remember already sending this but it does no appear in "My Posts", if I have! put it down to age and confusion & forgive me :bash: PLEASE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: ConvertXto DVD freezing

Post by Rudi »

What would you like comments on:
-- How to eject the CD that seems stuck in the tray? (Possibly reboot or use a paper clip and insert it into the tiny hole on the CD tray)
-- What happens to the data burned on the disc as the session was not closed?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You should be able to eject the DVD after restarting Windows.

Try setting the Conversion Priority to Idle in the Encoding tab of the Settings dialog. This will slow down burning, but will give other processes a better chance.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Well guys, thanks......you both in fact touched on relevant points in this case though I did know about the paper clip trick which I had tried without success. Tonight after switching on the disc ejected straight away when I hit the button on the drive it was stuck in. Just now I uninstalled the ConvertX software and reloaded it from the original disc then altered the setting Hans mentioned. Since then I have burned the previously converted video which plays ok so it obviously finalized correctly. As for the disc that was stuck in the drive, it looks just as a normal copied disc when data is burnt to it but W.E. would not recognise it so I suspect it was not finalized. However this bamboozles me as the last disc that this happened to does in fact play so something is not consistent. Here's hope the now install will solve the issue. Regards Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Murphy's law that it got stuck in the last 5 seconds!!! Gosh........5 seconds! that's just down right annoying!!!
Regards,
Rudi

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

..........here [just south of the "Land of the Geordies" we commonly call it "Sodds Law" which lurks around every corner especially if one is in "Computer Land". Things happen which sometime defy logic like; tonight, after downloading & installing the latest updates from Microsoft, my default browser has changed to I.Explorer and Firefox consigned to oblivion with all my Bookarks which is another example of Sodds Law at it worst. Seems I must -rather irksomely- repopulate the list and export it to a safe place before it happens again. Yet another lesson in why to back up information that matters. Cheers Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I doubt that your Firefox bookmarks are gone. They're probably still stored on your hard disk. See if you can see them when you start Firefox...
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

........that is sort of consoling Hasn & I hope you are right but I'm aftraid when I log on to the net using Firefox the only Bookmarks visible when I click that said tab are those imported from I.E. Where might they be lurking on my hard drive please & how can I trace & recover them? Fingers crossed...Regards Dave

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You need to show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer. You can do this by selecting Organize > Folder and Search Options in Windows Explorer. Activate the View tab, then make sure that the check box "Show hidden files, folders and drives" is ticked, then click OK.

Now navigate to C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. You'll see one or more subfolders with incomprehensible names. The one ending in .default is the most likely candidate, but you may have to experiment.
Bookmarks are stored in a file called Places.sqlite, together with your browsing history and download history. You can copy this file from one profile to another, if necessary.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Also, click tools>options>advanced>general in Firefox and click the box at the bottom to make Firefox your default browser.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Hans & Bob Firefox is already my default browser, I suspect a recent download must have changed the default browser to IE because the Firefox icon suddenly disappeared from my start menu. Will endeavour to follow your insytructions Hans and feed back the results. Cheers Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:Thanks Hans & Bob Firefox is already my default browser, I suspect a recent download must have changed the default browser to IE because the Firefox icon suddenly disappeared from my start menu. Will endeavour to follow your insytructions Hans and feed back the results. Cheers Dave.
If something changed your default browser, then the steps I outlined should change it back. :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Default browser now restored to Firefox, next to search for the Bookmarks following Hans' directions. Many thanks Dave.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.........got as far as the file "places.sqlite but can't open it Hans SORRY for the hassle. Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Hans' instruction was to COPY this file, not try to open it.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Right Ken............I saved a copy of the said file to the desktop but as for changing the profile SORRY I'm clueless. Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The idea is to copy the Places.sqlite file to your current Firefox profile folder. See Post=132465 for instructions on finding Firefox profile folders.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for your patience guys, just as our eyes & ears need aids so does our / my brain as the thatch thins - never been so distraught in front of the keyboard as has been the case since waving good by to XP. Chances are W7 has little to do with all the hurdles that seem to be occuring one after another but the pleasure of computing is fading rapidly. {not good for the hypertension malady] One minute (eg) all five drives appear in W.E. the next time I look one or more have disappeared. {slight deviation from the thread but part of the overall hassle}. Will look at post 132645 and see what I can absorb. An earlier comment was that a connection to one of the CD drives could be loose but for three drives to be [hitty missy] is rather odd. Thanks Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Dave Davison wrote:...One minute (eg) all five drives appear in W.E. the next time I look one or more have disappeared. An earlier comment was that a connection to one of the CD drives could be loose but for three drives to be [hitty missy] is rather odd.
Just a though...
Could this be a "power management" scenario as what happens in Windows 8? I recalled an issue earlier this year when my external drive kept on getting dropped from Win Explorer after a few minutes and I had to pull the USB out and put it in again for the drive to reappear. It turned out to be a power management setting in the Device Manager. See this thread for the full run-though (and in particular, this post for the resolution)
Regards,
Rudi

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Rudi, just on my way to the shop to have the extra 2GB memory I ordered installed so will run this issue past the expert as well as various others which are driving me up the wall, like the one I am about to post concerning FastStone Capture. Wil glance at the links you gave & attempt to expand my knowlege a little. Cheersd Dave.