Download & Convert

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Download & Convert

Post by Dave Davison »

I have just used "Airy" to download and convert a debate in mp4 on You Tube and save it as an mp3 which was dead easy and quick HOWEVER I then noted it was a time limit freebie so would like to know of any freebie that does both actions at the same time. I currently use "Freemake downloader" then "iWisoft" to extract the audio track which is pretty straight forward but one prog that does both at the same time would be even better. Thanks Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Download & Convert

Post by HansV »

According to this video, the free VLC Media Player can do this. See VLC media player if you don't have this player yet.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Topic moved from MS Office Applications forum to Other Applications forum
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.......sorry for uploading to wrong section Hans & yes I do already have and use VLC as my default player as it copes with everything I play, will explore it's potential further. Many thanks Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

't was Stuart who moved the thread...
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

WELL guys that was rather interesting, though it failed to do the conversion for me despite following the video to the letter.
1st The converted mp3 file did NOT end up in the same folder that the mp4 file was saved in (as the video claims) rather it ends up in the VLC folder in the "All progs" folder on the "C" drive & 2nd, as the screen shot proves, the mp3 file has ZERO bytes in it; zilch whereas the size of the mp4 file is 83.2MB. In no way am I ungrateful for the tip gents but VLC is not a patch on iWisfoft into which the mp4 files can be conveniently dragged and dropped and once the output format is selected the converted file appears in the iWisoft folder. As I mentioned in my original post, downloading is not a problem neither is conversion as Freemake downloader does the former and converting with iWisoft is equally easy. What I would like to grab FREE is a prog like "Airy" which downloads and converts at the same time [very quickly] BUT it is not free. Many thanks again Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm sorry it didn't work out.

Looking for free converters is difficult - I found many warnings about free downloads including spyware and/or unwanted extras. :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Dave,

Have you ever tried VDownloader?
It is a great app with built in video searching, downloading and conversion. It can strip out the audio from any web-based video and produce an MP3 format of it. I have been using VDownloader for a long time now and it is still one of the better web-based video downloaders I've come across. There is a paid version, but the FREE version can do the audio strip and convert too. See the images below.

If you are interested, you can browse and download it here: http://vdownloader.com/
Note: Please be vigilant when installing the app. Do NOT use the default options, but choose to do a custom install, and then read through each panel of the install process to reject the crapware.
1.jpg
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Rudi.............just clicked on the link you gave and my server blocked the search, see below. Is there an alternative link or can you assure me it is safe to simply disable the blocking feature for this one occasion then reactivate it ? Thanks Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Dave,

I have browsed to this site many times (solely to download the app). I have never had an issue.
Some other links confirming the webpage here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDownloader - This wiki page points to the same link I posted.

Two threads in the lounge regarding this site:
-- http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... downloader
-- http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... downloader

An alternative download location, though I cannot vouch for this one... I just googled for VDownloaded free...

WOT does not seem to have issues or flags with it...
1.jpg
Personally I prefer AV apps to be "over-sensitive", but it might be the case here.
Regards,
Rudi

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

How ominous Ruidi...I just looked in CNet to see if they offer VDownloader and sheepishly went down that road only to be greeted with the warning of a potential virus so make a quick retreat. Obviously shows the need for extreme caution when treading in this I.T. jungle. Will however explore the links you gave. :thankyou: DAVE.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Dave,

You will need to make you own judgement on this.
I do know that the VDownloader install file is laden with crapware which is probably what your AV is picking up. As you install the app, each page of the installer prompts if you want this or take. You can of course cancel or reject the option. The actual VDownloader is safe to use, but if you are skeptical, ignore my post and find something more suitable. Remember though that 99.9% of freeware nowadays is wrapped in an installer with additional junk packaged.

Cheers... Hope you find something that works for you if you feel you want to avoid VDownloader. :smile:
Regards,
Rudi

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

yes thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate them. As I've mentioned already Rudi, Freemake downloader works just fine and iWisoft is easy to use so maybe I will just carry on as I have done for years and use them both in the process. Though the 4 million plus downloads does say a a lot so I will certainly keep it in mind. Cheers Dave.